Has anybody used Gooseberries ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a pale bitter 5% abv with cascade and nelson sauvin hops, and then adding gooseberry juice on day 5 to lift the flavour and aroma.

Has anybody tried this. I will be using canned gooseberries in apple juice, but in about 8 weeks fresh gooseberries will be available, and I am thinking of pounding them in a pestle and mortar in a little water, then straining and rinsing them.

I have not tried it, but watch the January 26, 2015 Basic Brewing Video for James' Gooseberry saison.

I think your hop choices will be perfect with gooseberries. I lost 2 of my 3 plants and the surviving one doesn't get pollinated enough to produce anymore. I need to replant, because I enjoy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I brew with gooseberries every year, my favorite beer being a grozet and the gooseberry mead is the best. A gooseberry saison sounds very tasty, will have to try it this year.

Back to your original question which I ignored; when I've used currants and sour cherries, I freeze them in a vacuum packed bag. Then thaw in the microwave when ready to add to secondary. I mush them up in the bag before opening it up.

Hmm something to think about when I am out foraging. Have a number of gooseberries bushes bookmarked in the GPS. Kind of like the gooseberry Hefeweizen or mead ideas.

Back