Comparing US-05 and T-58: Would this APA show the differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micha

Reaction score
Hi there folks!

Simple problem: I want to split a 6 gal. batch to test the impact of T-58 (described as estery, spicy) compared to a (neutral) US-05. I'm not sure what I should aim for as a recipe to make this test, but I still want a tasty brew at the end. What about the following?

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 20.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 43.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.50 kg               Spring Pale Ale Malt, Optic (Thomas Fawc Grain         2        67.7 %        
1.00 kg               Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC)             Grain         3        15.0 %        
0.50 kg               Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)           Grain         4        7.5 %         
0.20 kg               Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC)           Grain         5        3.0 %         
25.00 g               Simcoe [13.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min   Hop           6        39.2 IBUs     
0.45 kg               Candi Syrup, D-45 (88.7 EBC)             Extract       7        6.8 %         
15.00 g               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           10       4.0 IBUs      
30.00 g               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T- Yeast         12       -

Process: No-sparge at 67°C, Bru'n water pale ale water profile (Ca 140 SO₄ 300), No-chill but combined with 5L cold water to get below 80°C.

Thanks!

I urge caution with the sulfate level you are considering. While it does work well with the neutral yeast strains, I'm unsure of the interaction with more phenolic strains. I would dial back off the sulfate level to 200 ppm or less for the batch so that its less likely that you end up with an undesirable portion. 200 ppm is still fine with a neutral strain, it just won't pop as much. That can be corrected in the keg with a supplemental gypsum addition after you conduct your comparison.

I urge caution with the sulfate level you are considering. While it does work well with the neutral yeast strains, I'm unsure of the interaction with more phenolic strains.

A great pleasure to have a comment from you, sir! Beard tip to your great work :) I don't plan to keg, out of sheer lack of kegs, or kegging system altogether, so I'll be getting myself in some bottling pain by having three different bottles: US-05, US-05+Gypsum and T-58. That'll be a nice horizontal comparison!

US-05, US-05+Gypsum and T-58. That'll be a nice horizontal comparison!

Interesting experiment! Have you used these yeasts before?

Can't comment on the water profile (way over my head at this point) but can say you will definitely get two completely varied beers at least. Have used and loved both.

US-05 pumps out some very nice APA/IPA-like results and T-58 has turned an ale recipe of mine into a near-saison in colour and flavour and it was delectable: used Golden Promise, Maris, and Vienna with some Tettnanger hops. Came out with an almost peach skin colour and fruity esters.

I would recommend something more basic like a wheat beer grist and moderate 20-30 IBUs. The T58 will be in the wit/hefe direction. The US05 will be rather plain, but after pulling a few bottles off as-is for later comparison, then you could dry hop the remainder with Simcoe.

Back