National Homebrew Day Giveaway!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin4

Reaction score
Saturday May 2nd is National Homebrew Day. As we're all brewers, it would only make sense that we enjoy the festivities, get out and brew, and teach others to brew, so we're giving some HomeBrewTalk Swag away to celebrate!

HBT-National-Giveaway.jpg

Prizes:
One winner will receive one (1) HomeBrewTalk Shirt, one (1) HomeBrewTalk Growler, and one (1) Discontinued HomeBrewTalk Pint Glass from my personal collection (Fancy!).

Rules and Entry:
- Post to this thread one way you have advanced brewing. Post a pic of you brewing, post a story of you brewing, teach other's to brew, and let us know what you did here in this thread.

Sitting around drinking and talking about beer is a completely acceptable method of entry provided you post that here.

If you do more than one thing, post it. Each method of supporting homebrewing will count as an entry.

Drawing:
On Monday May 4th I will close this thread at Noon (Central) and using Random.org select a single member who will win all the HomeBrewTalk Swag I have outlined.

The more you enter, the more chances you have to win. It's that simple.

Thanks for being a brewer and supporting the rich cultural heritage that is part of what makes us all so unique. From everyone at HBT we wish you the best on National Homebrew Day!

No purchase necessary. To enter by mail send full name, address, phone number to Entries must be received by May 4th, 2015 12:00 PM Central. Void where prohibited. Limit one (1) entry per household.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've learned that sometimes the simplest is the best. Starting brewing a few years ago I found myself adding this pot and adding this container and adding this tool/device. After finally realizing that many of these "additions" were simply slowing me down, I boiled it down (pun not intended) to the most simple of implements - Mash Tun, Pot, Spoon, Bucket etc.

I enjoy the "craft" much more now

Nice HBT swag!

I started by doing a partial mash with my brother-in-law many years ago. I jumped right into all-grain afterwards, and he quit brewing soon after. I haven't done any social-brewing stuffs since. I was too busy to join a brewclub years ago, but I am looking forward to joining one soon; just waiting to get a couple good brews ready to pass around first.

The main teaching I do is endlessly talk about beer to my poor wife. She's probably capable of running a brewhouse now without knowing it...

Here's some crappy pics of the last brewday if anyone cares: http://imgur.com/a/qUOoU

I'm proving, five gallons at a time, that brewing is fun, easy, and rewarding. I've already got one convert, and my wife is enjoying my last batch, which is a massive win.

My brewing experience has been amazing. I have gotten at lest 3 people started in all grain brewing in the past year. I started with a 1 Gallon kit that only lasted me for 2 brews. I picked up a 6.5 gallon Carboy from a flea market for $12 and it was on from that point. I have made a fair share of mistakes that include the breaking of my 6.5 gallon due to science and extracting my wort by hand from my mash tun due to clogging of my mesh. I have used homebrew talk silently for some time now to help filter out my crazy ideas from the practical ones. I have learned so much from the site and the members are always helpful. It is uncommon for a day to pass with someone answering my questions or providing me with assistance. Hope everyone feels that any of my assistance provided is helpful. Happy brewing and as always, Cheers!

View attachment 1430498475314.jpg

View attachment 1430498528176.jpg

IMG_20150502_111034.jpeg

I've brewed with a few people over the years, teaching them the Tao of the Brewday. I don't think any of them are still into it, except for a beekeeper friend who makes mead. My dogs are really the only ones who still listen to me talk about brewing.

Can't take credit, but have documented 30 min mash and overnight mash BIAB for the community.

Granted, both of these have been done... but it's always nice to see it documented for others who are nervous about giving it a shot.

Oh boy, time to put on my lucky drawing-winning avatar for this one! :D

I like to spread the Good Word by sharing homebrew with non-homebrewers. If they are dumb enough to ask how I made it, then I proceed to talk their ears off about it. Last Christmas my elderly retired neighbor, whose main hobby these days is sitting on his porch drinking beer, got a 6-pack of blond ale that I custom-labelled just for him. He thought it was so damn cool that I made him his own beer from scratch. When people come over and see my homemade draft beer bar for the first time, that's a pretty good conversation starter as well.

I wrote a boring article for HBT, converted my father to craft beer essentially stealing him away from Coors Light and try to help my friend who brews by pointing him here... even though he is too stubborn to accept the fact he is making bad beer and needs help.

edit:

20fq7iw.jpg

Because of HBT my hobby has grown from extract mishaps, to decent partial mash beers and now into this. My first all-grain and most enjoyable brew day to date.

HBT is the greatest! I'm thankful for the forum of home brewers of all levels. My home brewing skills have grown up" with HBT. It is like an open school of brewing info. My offers to teach others what I've learned are often met with comments like, "I wanna drink beer, not make it". I still have high hopes of finding willing subjects, but so far, my son is the only one to go through a complete brew day with me. Having said that, my wife is ever ready and willing to help when I need it.

Looking forward to Homebrew Day! :mug:

I'm in!
This is a great forum. I've learned so much from everyone on here! From dialing in efficiency, adjusting my water profile, to how to run an exterior beer line. Everyone is really helpful and outgoing.
It actually feels pretty rewarding being able to get into the forums and help people that were at the same point I was when I started.
I turn a lot of my friends that are wanting to get started, towards this forum and help them get their systems going. It's nice to give someone a piece of equipment you don't use anymore (do to changes or upgrades etc) and have them light up with the potentials it opens for them with brewing.

I now have a tasting room set up in the garage, and people from work come by, brew batches, and we critique each others brews. It's been a real pleasure to be part of this forum.
Thanks and Cheers!

I started brewing a little over a year ago... since then I have helped two other people start brewing. Learning more with each brew session.

I've learned, patience when it comes up your beer. Quality when it comes to brewing it. And be precise.

I share the gospel of good beer and try to pay it forward with beer/knowledge/brewing help wherever I can.

I wrote an article for HBT, and often share samples of my latest batches with friends and co-workers in a tireless effort to stamp out the perception that homebrewed beer is bathtub moonshine that will make you go blind. I'll be brewing an Irish Red tomorrow morning, I'll try and remember to take some pictures.

I'm in. Not sure what info you want, I'll just put down whatever comes to mind.

Lately I've been keeping an eye on the "Beginners Beer Brewing" portion of the forum trying to reassure those new to the hobby when they think they've messed up a batch, or provide them with a some basic info, maybe even a little encouragement.

I'm mainly doing mini-mash (or sometimes I think of them as "partial-extract" depending on the amount of grain I use) 1 and 3 gallon brews BIAB-style. It is tough to hit and maintain the right temps with small, thin mashes, but I've made some decent beer this way. For lagers and 3 gallon batches I usually do small yeast starters, more to check their viability than anything. I have a mini-fridge that can hold two or three one gallon carboys and I've rigged up a temp control system using an arduino, a relay, and a couple temp sensors (like a poor man's BrewPi). This summer I am looking forward to making a rhubarb saison.

Thursday nights is poker night with the boys, every time I host, first question out of everyone's mouth is "what you got on tap" my answer is invariably well, I have my goto beer (Belgian strong) and I have a special.

The deal is in rotation (7 guys) they each get to pick a number between 1 and 400, that number equates to a page in a clone recipe book which is what ends up in the keg next time I'm in rotation for hosting. They have no idea what it is until they taste it and for some reason we always exhaust at least 1 keg. Gives me a chance to forcibly brew different styles and the guys a chance to taste different styles.

It's nice to know that you don't need to spend mega $$ to make good beer. Learned how to make a stir plate out of junk I had laying around in my "computer box-o-crap". Only had to purchase a stir bar and a PWM board (links in build threads) and for less that $10, instant stir plate!

2015-04-10 22.36.05.jpg

I'm serving my home brews to all who happen by my Kentucky Derby party tomorrow.

Every time I brew I invite a friend or relative over to help. They all get a little bit of the bug and ask to come back and help again. Almost got my borther to switch from extract to all grain.

Post to this thread one way you have advanced brewing.

Simple - I share beer with friends.

No better way to set the hook.

Looks like good stuff!!

I just gave hops to a friend so he could brew the beer he wanted without having to go buy more hops!!

Anytime someone starts talking about homebrew. I'm there talking with them teaching new things or learning from there expirences. I always share HomeBrewTalk.com as a great place to refer to when help or information is needed.

I was teaching a friend some stuff about all grain brewing one night while I made a barleywine. I told him "first rule of homebrewing...have a homebrew while you brew. Second rule of homebrewing, don't get drunk."

Needless to say, we got drunk. Really drunk. He turns to me and says "aren't we breaking the second rule?" I said "what is the second rule?"

Anyway, he works at a brewery now and is planning on opening his own. Great brewer, better than me. Guess I was a good teacher!

My only contribution and advice to new homebrewers is don't FREAK OUT over brewing. Yes, when starting out, brewing may seem overwhelming. Do a good job planning for brew day and your brew day will go smoothly. I've panicked, got angry and yes FREAKED OUT so many times on brew day that my wife hated brewing with me; but not anymore. Now, after many brews under my belt, I’ve learned to do a good job planning and anticipating problems so that I don’t run around like madman on brew day. You’ll learn too.

And, of course, when brew day is done, have a beer with your best friend.

Having%20a%20beer%20with%20Lila%20on%20my%20lap.jpg

Sanitation is very important in making good brew

Thank you for imparting that little pearl of wisdom upon us. It is a great contribution to the advancement of HomeBrewing indeed.

I contributed once again by quoting this text and adding it to my signature, for emphasis and for posterity.

I've taught several people to brew and one of my more recent proteges just took first place in the first round of the NHC for a very good belgian dark strong!

I recently shared my recipe for cider with one of the fellow members of the local Homebrew Club (Barley Mob Brewers of Chattanooga) and also gave them a link to this site.

Yesterday I wore my Barley Mob Brewers club shirt to work and discussed the joys of homebrewing with several of my colleagues. Also discussed it with my boss earlier in the week.

I have given out several samples of my home brew and in January I took 15 gallons of home brew cider to a science fiction convention. It was a huge hit!

I'm in!

No homebrewing for me on May 2nd... Because I'm getting married on National Homebrew Day instead!

I'm advancing homebrewing that day by serving two kegs of homebrew tomorrow

20150430_153912.jpg

I have a nice light blonde ale for the BMC crowd, and an imperial IPA for the beer drinkers!

Congrats! Weddings are the perfect place to get people into tasty beer.

I advance homebrewing by always having some on hand for people that want to try. I've never understood brewers that make as much as possible, then hoard it all and don't share. What's the point!? You come to my house, you're welcome to my beer. I come you your house, there's a good chance I'm bringing beer. You're home alone at night, there's a good chance I'm out in the bushes drinking beer.

Someday, I'll be on an episode of hoarders (Is that show still on?) and on that show I'll have a ton of craft beer and homebrew all over as well as homebrew equipment, empty bottles and stuff in my neglected and barely habitable home. Millions will learn about homebrewing from seeing it on TV.

Advancing isn't always improving.

I started brewing about a year ago doing extract batch's. I just finished brewing my seconded all grain batch. I had my friend over to assist and see what its all about and the next day he went out to pick up his own starter kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back