Evil Twin recipie w/ Mosaic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That recipe is a complicated mess. 5 specialty malts? Really?

Other than that nitpick, I'd marry Mosaic if it were legal.

I love that recipe, and I think mosaic would be perfect in it!

My next brew will be a mosaic something, but I haven't decided yet on IPA vs APA, but I know there will be a ton of late hops!

That recipe is a complicated mess. 5 specialty malts? Really?

Other than that nitpick, I'd marry Mosaic if it were legal.

I don't know if I agree... if you count the Munich malt (which you should) it's an 85% base malt recipe. My LHBS is set up so I can buy any quantity of malt I need, so it's no big deal.

Anyway... all the brews I've made based upon Jamil Z. recipes have all been great.:rockin:

I'm excited to do something a little different as I've been brewing a lot of German & UK ales lately.

I don't know if I agree... if you count the Munich malt (which you should) it's an 85% base malt recipe. My LHBS is set up so I can buy any quantity of malt I need, so it's no big deal.

Anyway... all the brews I've made based upon Jamil Z. recipes have all been great.:rockin:

I'm excited to do something a little different as I've been brewing a lot of German & UK ales lately.

Yeah I missed the part where it's a Red. My bad.

I'd still marry Mosaicz

It's a good solid recipe. Remember that the chocolate malt is in there for color, and you've got some character malts in there but it certainly isn't overly complicated.

Complexity is usually a good thing, and this recipe has some depth and complexity without being "muddy".

The only thing I've had that was a jz recipe that was questionable was his west coast blaster. The brewer who made it is an outstanding brewer. So I don't question that part. I question the recipe.

Fresh Evil Dead Red is one of my favorite beers. Evil Twin? Well, either I'm not a very good brewer, or that recipe misses the mark. More like evil step sister. So I suggest messing with that recipe until you get it right. Mosaic seems like a nice substitution.

Pale chocolate doesn't seem right. Feel free to substitute there too.

The only thing I've had that was a jz recipe that was questionable was his west coast blaster. The brewer who made it is an outstanding brewer. So I don't question that part. I question the recipe.

You're killing me here. My next attempt at a red IPA (or whatever this style is -- think it needs a name) is/was loosely based on west coast blaster. I'm not using pale choco. With apologies for the hijack, please critique the recipe. It seems to be a precursor to evil twin, so may be on topic?

HA! Whoops... Sorry about that. I don't know if it was a fluke or what. The recipe just seemed muddy. Things were fermented with the right yeast, in a controlled environment and pitched the appropriate amount of yeast from a starter. This dude brews some killer IPA so I wonder if it wasn't hoppy enough? :D

It has been a while since I had it but I remember it being malty but not in a clean way. I've had malt forward beers that have a balanced feel to them and this didn't have it. Perhaps a greater survey of homebrewland will be a better help?

HA! Whoops... Sorry about that. I don't know if it was a fluke or what. The recipe just seemed muddy. Things were fermented with the right yeast, in a controlled environment and pitched the appropriate amount of yeast from a starter. This dude brews some killer IPA so I wonder if it wasn't hoppy enough? :D

It has been a while since I had it but I remember it being malty but not in a clean way. I've had malt forward beers that have a balanced feel to them and this didn't have it. Perhaps a greater survey of homebrewland will be a better help?

The best IRA I ever made was with this malt bill:
18 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) 79.1 %
2 lbs Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) 8.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L 6.6 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 3.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 2.2 %

(This is a 10 gallon batch, obviously)

Using the Evil Twin hop schedule as a base (well, the malt bill too, come to think of it...............), I used RO water with gypsum to make the hops 'pop' and it wasn't muddy at all! The color was a wonderful copper, as I didn't use the pale chocolate but using carared instead of so much 40L might have made it redder.

Hopping:
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min
2.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Amarillo [10.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

2.00 oz Amarillo Leaf [10.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

The best IRA I ever made was with this malt bill...

Thank you for that. The grain bill looks almost as if you read it from my spreadsheet, except I'm adding 1% carawheat (because I need to use it) and 1% midnight wheat (because I want it dark and I need to use it).

I've tried the carared, and it was okay. It wasn't like food coloring or anything. Go for the flavor.

I have all the hops you suggested, but I've been drinking beers with those, so after the Columbus bittering, I'm using cascade and centennial, ala west coast blaster.

So, I'm admitting my foolishness for not following your recipe -- this time -- even though I already have all those ingredients. ...and to the op, yes I have mosaic too. Not using it here because I just brewed an all-mosaic APA/IPA. Gotta keep a variety of beers.

...Using the Evil Twin hop schedule as a base (well, the malt bill too, come to think of it...............), I used RO water with gypsum to make the hops 'pop' ...

Yooper: Based your this experience, how much gypsum would be appropriate per gallon of RO? Thanks!

Back