Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DME Substitute
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
rhag1128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24
Default DME Substitute

I have a Belgian Lambic partial mash recepie that calls for 5 pounds of Wheat DME.

Can someone suggest an all grain substitution for the DME? The only other grains are 8oz carapils and 8 oz German Crystal. This is supposed to be a 5 gal batch. 6# of malt just seems a bit low.


Randy


rhag1128 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,331
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Its about 8.5lbs of Wheat malt...


__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count
Soulive is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,693
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I punched it into beersmith and I ger 7.5lbs to get to the same gravity as the 5lbs of DME
SuperiorBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
rhag1128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24
Default

Thanks Guys, I will have to get more acclimated to the beersmith et al.

Randy
rhag1128 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Scimmia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: QCA, Iowa
Posts: 959
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

DON'T FORGET that wheat DME is usualy only ~60% Wheat Malt, the other ~40% is plain Pale Malt! You'll want to split that 7.5 lb (or so) between the 2.
Scimmia is offline
Bob Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
cperac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

I have Beersmith on Android, where do I make the conversion from DME to grain?
cperac is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Christiansted, St Croix, USVI, US Virgin Islands
Posts: 3,932
Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
DON'T FORGET that wheat DME is usualy only ~60% Wheat Malt, the other ~40% is plain Pale Malt! You'll want to split that 7.5 lb (or so) between the 2.
This deserved reinforcing.


__________________
Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands
Bob is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hop substitute? GLWIII Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-15-2009 08:14 PM
substitute for 1lb LME? snipper_cr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-05-2009 12:29 PM
Hop Substitute jagg Recipes/Ingredients 17 05-13-2008 01:14 AM
which hop substitute? mdd134 Recipes/Ingredients 5 12-06-2007 04:03 PM
Hop Substitute??? Hopfan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 07-31-2007 04:40 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS