Style that you can not brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aStoutObserver

Reaction score
What style of beer do you have trouble (or in the past) brewing?

For me, it was a good IPA. I fixed a few issues and now am content, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks their trouble beer is?

low gravity anything, i have a tendency to always make everything really high octane. Results in my friends falling over things proclaiming theyve only had 3 beers :D

I have no ferm chamber so I can't brew lagers. At least not until the winter

I love biere de gardes, but the last 6 ive brewed have missed the mark, and been lackluster. Its a curse. Im mean they were fine. but b- affairs, for all different reasons.

My berliner weisses... I gave up on them. And pretty much all sours. At least for a few years.

I've got IPAs pretty nailed now that I can keg and minimize oxygen exposure. Plus I can do another dry hop in the keg. IPAs are easy since the hops can cover any flaws in the beer. What do you find hard in particular about IPAs? I know a few good articles waling through how to make great IPAs

For me, its Begian Tripels/Dubbels. I can do Saisons (my favorite style) alright, but I just cant get a Tripel or DUbbel Im satisfied with. I've tried nearly every traditional yeast and ran them cold and ramping up to the 80s, but no luck. Damn those monks and their secrets...

So far I have not found any style that I cannot brew to my satisfaction. I have not tried some styles so they could turn into a sticking point.

I've got IPAs pretty nailed now that I can keg and minimize oxygen exposure. Plus I can do another dry hop in the keg. IPAs are easy since the hops can cover any flaws in the beer. What do you find hard in particular about IPAs? I know a few good articles waling through how to make great IPAs

Mostly I just had temperature regulating issues. I moved to a chest freezer with an stc 1000 and have corrected it. Now I'm good with them.
Also, because I had those temperature issues, my washed wlp001 started to mutate and that was of course easy to correct.

I'm glad you got your issues fixed.
In case you are interested, here are a few tips I picked up from researching and experience for IPAs
- Mash low 148-150 to get a lean body
- Eliminate crystal malts or keep them at 0.5lb or below if you must. The sweetness clashes with the hops, you arent trying to make a weaker version of a barleywine, its an IPA. The hops are the star
- have 5-10% simple cane sugar, candi sugar, or dextrose as part of your grain bill. This helps with the lean drinkable body. I do this for all my belgian style beers as well as IPAs
- Do the vast majority of your hops additions right at the end of the boil. This will preserve the aromatics and give you the best hop punch. I always do a hopstand for 30min or so after I add my 0min hops

good luck with your future IPA recipes!

For some reason, Stouts. I have a kick-ass Porter that turns out great consistently, but after 1 OK, and 2 so-bad-I-dumped-them Stouts, I've given up. Luckily, I only really like Stouts during the month of March, and I can buy enough then to keep me happy.

I had problems with APA's and IPA's for years and years until I got a handle on my water profile (Very high bicarbonate tap water was the problem). I have gotten a pretty good handle on IPA's and APA's over the past couple years but continue to experiment trying to dial them in.

I have never brewed a belgian beer worth a &*^%...... but, not a big fan of belgian beers either, so I can live with that.

It seems when I attempt to brew Belgium beers, mostly quad's. I can't get the flavor profile where I want it. Only have brewed 3 so far and am still trying.

Not happy with my attempts at pumpkin beers. First one just tasted of nothing, second one tastes kinda medicinal.

Add me to the IPA list. There are just so many IPAs from home bursting with aroma and flavor it's a tough category to compete in.

Wheat beers -- hefeweizens or wits. They turn out ok, but they always have more of a harsh yeast bite than a good European one. I'm betting it's a water chemistry thing, since I don't really mess with that at all.

I haven't found anything that I CAN'T brew. I have, however, found things that weren't quite right the first time I made them, then practice made perfect.

Wheat beers -- hefeweizens or wits. They turn out ok, but they always have more of a harsh yeast bite than a good European one. I'm betting it's a water chemistry thing, since I don't really mess with that at all.

Agreed on Weissbiers. I'm after a hefe similar to Weihenstephaner. It's just a soft profile with a nice balance between clove and banana, leaning more towards banana esters. Difficult to achieve.

Also, oatmeal stout has been a tough one for me. I don't brew it that much anymore simply because it's not something I want to drink on a daily basis. But I brew one or two a year and I just can't quite get what I'm after.

IPA was like that for me also. But I think my issue there was just plain over hopping. Every beer was ending up too bitter and almost vegetal/grassy. My last one I intentionally "under hopped" and it turned out really nice.

I'm after a hefe similar to Weihenstephaner. It's just a soft profile with a nice balance between clove and banana, leaning more towards banana esters. Difficult to achieve.
That's been my experience with Hefs also

Back