Super yeast only 4%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_b

Reaction score
Hi all. So myself and 4 others decided to try a homebrew from scratch. One of us knows a little bit about brewing but really we're all just winging it.
Went to the shop and the guy said try super yeast as we wanted a 5-6% beer and this super yeast could actually go to 20+%. We let it ferment for 2 weeks (with a fish tank heater keeping it at 20 deg) but it only went to just over 4%. Maybe we ran out of sugars? What do you guys think? Any advice to improve the abv would be helpful as the taste is ok.

Yes we did. After one week we worked out it was just under 4 so it didn't change a lot after another week. Maybe another yeast might be more suitable?

The recipe you used would help us to know if you have the correct ingredients to make a beer with more alcohol. We also need to know what your measured OG and FG were. With that info we can calculate what the actual amount of alcohol would be.

We wrote it down but cant remember the fg (maybe 1.028ish buy really not sure). I'm out so can check the notes when i get in. Think the og was about 1.042. Will also double check the ingredients.

Even if the yeast manages to ferment 100% of available extract(never really happens with beer) a 1.042 OG is never going much above %5. 4 wish is about what you can expect with that. If you want a higher alcohol content you need to start with more sugar.

You don't need "super yeast" to brew a 6% beer, just more malt.

Yeh was thinking it might be the sugar. Especially after it didnt change much after a reading half way through.

Back