My Infected Beer Tastes Sour, but I kinda like it... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My Infected Beer Tastes Sour, but I kinda like it...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
kenche
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I had a batch of beer become infected, I decided to keg it anyway to see just how bad it would be.

The strange thing is that although it is certainly sour, there are times that I actually kind of enjoy it.

Do you think this is me just being stubborn and refusing to throw out a batch, or is it common for a soured batch to be pleasantly soured?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Cleveland
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I don't think its common for an infected batch to end up pleasant but it certainly is possible. Several styles purposely "infect" the beer with organisms that are generally regarded as undesirable. Lambic, Berliner Weisse, Flemish Sour Ales, etc. If you get the "right" type of infection it can add an interesting flavor to the beer. Just and landofhoney who seems to be constantly experimenting with sour beers.
Craig

Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1654 Times on 1069 Posts

I'll be pitching some Brett into a 60 gallon barrel, purposely "infecting" a LOT of beer.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Realistically, sour beers were originally old, infected beers. Just like Porter used to be a mixed beer. People drank them because that's what they had. Now they make 'em that way.

One of my Browns is getting sour and I think it would be great in the summer. I don't think it will last that long.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jenison, MI
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Seeing how you kegged it you had better plan to replace the hoses and REALLY clean you tap after it's gone or your next one could endup the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

will it though at the lower temps?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
kenche
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
Seeing how you kegged it you had better plan to replace the hoses and REALLY clean you tap after it's gone or your next one could endup the same way.
I plan to clean the lines and tap pretty well. No plans to replace the hoses. I am guessing that in the cooler temps of the fridge the infection won't really take hold. The faucet is forward sealing so that should also help.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'll be pitching some Brett into a 60 gallon barrel, purposely "infecting" a LOT of beer.
You're a madman.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
cronxitawney
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Germantown, MD
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenche
So I had a batch of beer become infected, I decided to keg it anyway to see just how bad it would be.

The strange thing is that although it is certainly sour, there are times that I actually kind of enjoy it.

Do you think this is me just being stubborn and refusing to throw out a batch, or is it common for a soured batch to be pleasantly soured?
I find your perseverance awesome. I would have shed tears and dumped it.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
kenche
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronxitawney
I find your perseverance awesome. I would have shed tears and dumped it.
There have been many times in the past where I have been subjected to alcoholic beverages not nearly as enjoyable as this infected beer.

mmmmm.... Thai rice whiskey anyone?