Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Commercial Doppelbock tasting
Old 01-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
Beer, not rocket science
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Commercial Doppelbock tasting

Since we appear to be heading for a 9-9-9 dopplebock brew, how about a commercial sampling by anyone who cares to join in?

I suggest we go to our favorite brew store and see what they have, sample a few, take some notes and report back. This would be with an eye towards the recipe design we are working at in the 9-9-9 thread.

Who is in? I am. I will go to the store tomorrow!

Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I'm in. I'll head out and pick some up tomorrow as well.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Professor Frink
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I just hit up the beer store yesterday, but next time I'm over there I'll definitely look for one.
Primary: Cherrywood Smoked Porter
60 Minute IPA
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I picked up some Optimator last night, just cuz it was there. Is this thing still on?

Beer is good for anything from hot dogs to heartache.

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993
Old 02-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Liked 503 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've got some Celebrator in the cellar...
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana
Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a Celebrator open, with Salvator and Optimator waiting in the fridge. I will participate in the sixer of the week thing coming up, but I did want to try a few of these one at a time.

The Celebrator I really like. If we end up with a near clone it is OK with me. The closest comparison in my tasting experience is start with a RIS but use a lager yeast to ditch a little esteriness so you get something a little maltier. And a little lighter in color, but not a lot. I hope those of us who can't lager could make some room in the fridge for a fermenter and use Anchor Steam yeast?

Celebrator USA home page is here:

Profoundly dark, rich elixir with a complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers. Semi-dry finish.

Pastries and desserts, roast goose, cured ham, smoked duck, wild turkey, filet with Dijon sauce, chanterelles, Tournedos Rossini, Châteaubriand. Enjoy with a fine cigar after dinner. Serve in stemmed tumbler at 50°.
I am not sure about the "complex fruitiness" bit. Compared to a single bock maybe (I dunno), but compared to a USA barleywine (I do know) the Celebrator is nowhere near fruity.

If I stretch these out I can do Celebrator (done), then Optimator, Celebrator, Salvator, Celebrator, 888RIS, and get the RIS 21 days after bottling.

Paulaner Salvator:

I really liked the Paulaner extra dry Pilsner and I really like the Salvator too. Much lighter than the Celebrator, almost red like a Smithwicks, really good head, plenty of malt on the front end, almost nothing for esters from the yeast, and actual hop bitterness in the finish. Good stuff. I sampled this one at 55°. I'll be sure to grab the next Celebrator at 50° even as suggested.

Spaten Optimator

A malty treat. Very tired after a long day. I am looking forward to a sixer of this one to develop a fuller opinion.