Weldless Thermometer help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliemurphy

Reaction score
I bought a weldless thermometer/sight glass combo fitting and a thermometer to go along with it. Unfortunately I didn't include the length of the fitting when I chose my thermometer stem length and now I'm afraid I'm going to be too short. The stem of the thermometer doesn't extend past the end of the fitting.

Am I screwed? Will the water that flows into the fitting be able to produce an accurate temperature?

I bought a weldless thermometer/sight glass combo fitting and a thermometer to go along with it. Unfortunately I didn't include the length of the fitting when I chose my thermometer stem length and now I'm afraid I'm going to be too short. The stem of the thermometer doesn't extend past the end of the fitting.

Am I screwed? Will the water that flows into the fitting be able to produce an accurate temperature?

You need at least 1.5" of the probe to be in the pot.

Why not just poke another hole for the thermometer by itself, instead of putting it in the sight glass fitting?
Never been a fan of the thermometer at the end of the sight glass fitting. Just another thing sticking out too far for clumsy me to knock into. I second the idea of an additional hole for the thermometer.

Will you be heating spargue/strike water in your BK? If you have a HLT for that, I think youre fine. In your BK, you dont really need a thermometer to tell you it's boiling, do you?

In your BK, you dont really need a thermometer to tell you it's boiling, do you?
No, you need a thermometer in you BK to know you're almost boiling and be there to prevent a possible boil-over. Once past hot break it's of little use until you start to chill. Then it's the thing that tells you it's time to transfer to your fermenter. Now a sight-glass on a BK is overkill in my opinion. Nothing a dowel with numbers on it won't do, and the dowel is a lot easier to keep clean.

No, you need a thermometer in you BK to know you're almost boiling and be there to prevent a possible boil-over. Once past hot break it's of little use until you start to chill. Then it's the thing that tells you it's time to transfer to your fermenter. Now a sight-glass on a BK is overkill in my opinion. Nothing a dowel with numbers on it won't do, and the dowel is a lot easier to keep clean.

You have a point on the boil over possibility. As fas as the chilling, a shorter probe might not give you a 100% accurate temperature but it should be close enough (if kept calibrated) to pitch, even if it is 3-4* off

Back