Reusing yeast slurry in 24 hours. How would you store it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reusing yeast slurry in 24 hours. How would you store it?

• Rack off beer; keep yeast slurry in bucket; store at room temp

• Rack off beer; keep yeast slurry in bucket; store in fridge overnight; take out before brewing

• Rack off beer, but ensure there is a decent layer of beer on top, then #1

• Rack off beer, but ensure there is a decent layer of beer on top, then #2

• Transfer yeast slurry to a smaller container with almost no headspace and store at room temp

• Transfer yeast slurry to a smaller container with almost no headspace and store in fridge overnight

• It doesn’t matter since it’s only 24 hours; do any of the above

• Do something else; write in reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a 1 gal batch in order to grow enough yeast for a subsequent 5 gallon batch, which I'm brewing on Sunday. I'd rather not bottle the 1 gal batch on Sunday before brewing. I'd rather bottle it on Saturday, roughly 24 hours before. How would you go about storing the slurry for 24 hours?

Just to clarify between 1/2 and 3/4. When I rack off beer, I usually get almost all the beer and just leave a couple ounces remaining, which wouldn't be enough to cover the entire yeast slurry. That's what I'm talking about in options 1 and 2. For 3 and 4, I would purposely leave behind enough beer to make a layer of beer on top of the slurry (maybe 10-12 oz?).

What would you do?

Rack. Swirl. Transfer to sanitized jar, keep in fridge. Stir plate it a half hour before pitching.

Leave just enough beer to swirl and loosen the yeast cake. Sanitize a jar large enough to hold what you need for your next beer. Or all of it and use only what you need and save the rest for about a month or so in the fridge. Check here to determine how much slurry you need for the beer:http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Keep the jar in the refrigerator. When ready to pitch, just swirl it up and add it to the fermenter.

I chose transfer a container.. but if you anticipate using the whole thing, I say it wont (didn't) make much of a difference.

Back