Help with motor for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We recently replaced our front load washing machine and before they hauled it off I removed the motor from it thinking I might be able to reuse it (it was another component that failed).

Anyone know where I might find some information on wiring this sort of motor up? Here are some photos I took including the label with the specs.

I figured if it had enough strength to spin the washing tub it should be good for something, maybe to power a grain mill.

2015-04-16 18.10.55.jpg

2015-04-16 18.10.59.jpg

What brand was it? Most modern front loaders use a DC motor that uses a 3 phase pulsed DC from a converter board to run the motor. The motor you have looks like one of those, without the converter I don't think you're going to get it working. Even with the converter it would be tricky because they interface the converter with the machine control board to make everything work.

What brand was it? Most modern front loaders use a DC motor that uses a 3 phase pulsed DC from a converter board to run the motor. The motor you have looks like one of those, without the converter I don't think you're going to get it working. Even with the converter it would be tricky because they interface the converter with the machine control board to make everything work.

Yeah, after using the photos to look up the serial number I realized it was a lost cause. Oh well, it's full of copper windings ;)

Back