Mixed-Style Beer Carpathian Forest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WPL810
Yeast Starter
YES
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
23 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 55 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 Days @ 50 F
This is a really good lager, its sort of an Americanized version of a Munich Dunkel or Schwartzbier. I had in mind a "Shiner Black" when I started making the beer, but as it turns out it is much tastier. It tastes smooth and crisp, with lingering malt and chocolate in the finish. The chocolate is surprising, because it truely has a chocolate taste and not the roasty or coffee bitterness that you might expect. At first I was a bit afraid that a half pound of chocolate malt would make the beer bitter or burnt tasting, but as it turns out it gives a nice true chocolate flavor to the Munich Maltiness.

I used the style guideliness for a Munich Dunkel and Swartzbier as a starting point only, and I shot for the more extreme ends of the style, so the beer is not really what you might call "authentic". It is however a very delicious and refreshing beer, and even though it is "dark" its still probably very approachable by BMC enthusiasts or someone who's hesitant to try homebrew.

I used WPL810 San Francisco Lager yeast from White Labs because I wanted a real lager yeast that would be tolerant of warmer temperatures in case the weather turned warmer than expected. This beer was fermented for 2 weeks in the mid to low 50s, and then moved to a secondary for another month in the mid 40s to low 50s.

Here is the recipe:

Malts:
8 1/2 #s Light Munich Malt 1.033 10L 85%
1/2 # Cara Aroma 1.036 25L 5%
1/2 # Chocolate Malt 1.029 350L 5%
1/2 # CaraPils 1.033 10L 5%

Mash:
Single infusion Mash at 153F for 80 Minutes. Sparged to about 7.5 gallons for the boil.

Hops:
1/2 oz Nugget @ 60 Minutes
1/2 oz Hallertauer @ 30 Minutes

You could do an awesome label with this dude on it...

dracul.jpg

MriswitH said:
At first sight of the topic, I though you were talking about the band, haha.

Looks like a tasty brew my friend!

Yes It is very tasty.

The band is sortof where I got the name - I was thinking of a combination of "Black Forest" and "Black Metal" and well Carpathian Forest is where I ended up.

Rest assured this beer tastes much better than their music sounds.

:D

LOL, yeah I'd call it Vlad the Impairer, lol. Sounds like a sweet recipe that I am definitely going to try. Just getting into lagers and plan on rolling them out constantly once I get my other chest freezer going. I love dark lagers.

Brew Dude said:
Wow, I thought I was the only metalhead here.

I'm no musical snob, but I listen to mostly death / technical death metal. :rockin:

Necorphagist, Death, Carcass, At The Gates, Cannibal Corpse, Arsis; you get the point.

MriswitH said:
I'm no musical snob, but I listen to mostly death / technical death metal. :rockin:

Necorphagist, Death, Carcass, At The Gates, Cannibal Corpse, Arsis; you get the point.

Thats pretty much what I listen to as well. I know were getting of the topic here, but if you like Cannibal Corpse, then check out http://www.tombofthemutilated.net - worldwide Cannibal Corpse fanclub run by myself since April 2003.

Man after a few months this beer is off the chain. My only complaint with it has been that I think I went a little overboard with the chocolate, but after 6 months or so in the fridge giving it a little time for the chocolate malt bitterness to smooth out its turned out to be freaking fantastic. Next time I make it I think I will cut way back on the chocolate malt though - maybe even eliminate it entirely and replace it with something that will give it the dark color but not get quite so harsh as chocolate can.

I've only got about 12x22oz bottles left, and I really want to save them for fall if I can.

this looks awesome. I also was caught by the name but i am a big fan of Carpathian Forest. Death metal is rad, but im a bit more into black metal. Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem, Satyricon, Arcturus, ect. I will have to brew this beer at some time

Thats pretty much what I listen to as well. I know were getting of the topic here, but if you like Cannibal Corpse, then check out http://www.tombofthemutilated.net - worldwide Cannibal Corpse fanclub run by myself since April 2003.

I knew that avitar looked familiar! Rock on brother. I know this is an old post but it seems like you've honed your brewing skills really really well. Ive read your recipe for the Lager. It sounds like a good one for me to try as well. Im ready to try AG, but dont wanna screw it up. Im sure with some time behind the pot I too will find my way.

Just another Metalhead Beer drinker/brewer! :mug:

Back