Krausen on lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squompie

Reaction score
Hi there, greetings from London!!

I'm a newb and am 5 days into my first kit. Very healthy start to fermentation and now it's settling a little. Keeping an eye on the gravity every couple of days. HOWEVER!!!

Due to the big start to fermentation, krausen has managed to get on the inner edge of the lid (the bit you would put fingers on to lift off the lid) and has dried there! Should I clean it off? If yes, is it ok to leave my brew open and naked like that whilst I clean the lid??
Thanks and all the best

Leave it alone, no harm in it. I only really clean the bucket before primary is done if the krausen gets up and over the lip and on the outside of the bucket(and the floor and the ceiling and... well you get the picture).

Too many specific gravity readings adds to the risk of introducing an infection. Take your first gravity reading two weeks after the start of fermentation, then another in about three days.
It takes time for the extra yeast and sediment to drop out and have clear beer going into the bottle.
You can leave the krausen on the lid to dry.

Welcome to the forum squompie.

It's best to leave your bucket closed as long as you can. I know when you're new at this, the temptation is there to look at it often. But opening it 1) allows airborne bacteria and/or wild yeast to enter, and 2) allows oxygen to enter.

If you have krausen on the outside of your bucket, you might try to wipe it off, but if there isn't much you don't have to worry about it.

+1 on keeping the lid on until it's done, 2 weeks minimum, 3 probably a good target. Then snake a skinny 1/4" hose down the grommet hole and siphon some beer out for your test. There is generally no need or advantage to rack to a secondary, leaving it in your primary until you're ready to bottle it. Yeast keeps working after the krausen drops, giving you better beer. Even dry hopping can be done in primary, unless you want to reuse the yeast.

During the height of initial fermentation, I used to get lid leaks like that with the Brewer's Best style buckets. The lids have no seal, so they leaked under pressure to the rings around the top of the outside. I just spritzed it with a little Starsan from my spray bottle & wiped it off the rings with a paper towel.
That said, I agree with the others to keep it closed till the two week mark, then do a hydrometer test. 3 days later, do it again & if the numbers match, it's done. I then give it 3-7 days more to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Back