BlackMan Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I was listening to Sour Hour episode 10 in the car this morning whilst driving to physio and I heard something that not only made my heart beat faster,but also put my BP up and had to sit and wait for 20 minutes for it to come down again.

BlackMan Yeast offers four dried sour cultures(American,Flanders,Belgian and German) containing ale yeast and either Lacto or Pedio and Lacto.

Just wanted to check up incase anybody has used his cultures.

I was listening to Sour Hour episode 10 in the car this morning whilst driving to physio and I heard something that not only made my heart beat faster,but also put my BP up and had to sit and wait for 20 minutes for it to come down again.

BlackMan Yeast offers four dried sour cultures(American,Flanders,Belgian and German) containing ale yeast and either Lacto or Pedio and Lacto.

Just wanted to check up incase anybody has used his cultures.

Sounds great. Could beat the growlers of starters laying around the house. Do they have a website or are they just on Assbook?

I'll have to listen to Episode 10. Had some Egregious on draft last week at the Mikkeller bar. The price was certainly egregious! Haha.

I got to the site through facefook.
They have $6 flat rate shipping for you guys in the USA.

The Facebook group is a closed group, which is a bit of a bummer. I found the site through a web search, though. I might have to buy some when I'm back in the States this summer and bring it back to China for use. I'd love to hear any experiences anyone has with them in the meantime - $12 a packet is pretty steep, and it could really get out of hand as I would probably bring back samples for homebrew buddies here as well.

I used my wife's account. Just went to more info and clicked on the site.
I was interested because it is the first dried source of bacteria I have ever heard of.
Also, the validity dates would make them out last liquid counterparts.
I am hell bent on getting some to try

I used my wife's account. Just went to more info and clicked on the site.
I was interested because it is the first dried source of bacteria I have ever heard of.
Also, the validity dates would make them out last liquid counterparts.
I am hell bent on getting some to try

For sure - dried bugs would be a game-changer for those of us outside of the distribution range for liquid cultures from Wyeast, White Labs, and smaller labs like The Yeast Bay. Even if they don't distribute over here, it's way easier to import dry cultures than wet because they get less notice in customs and they can handle the warmer shipping temperatures.

I'd like to see some dried Brett cultures as well, but Lacto and Pedio (mixed with some Sacch.) is definitely a start.

Still in beta phase. For now it seems they're going more towards the commercial side with barrel size pitches. Lots of positive feedback though

Cool! I like using dry yeast more and more. I may have to order some of these.

Has anyone used them yet? Results?

The Facebook group is a closed group, which is a bit of a bummer. I found the site through a web search, though. I might have to buy some when I'm back in the States this summer and bring it back to China for use. I'd love to hear any experiences anyone has with them in the meantime - $12 a packet is pretty steep, and it could really get out of hand as I would probably bring back samples for homebrew buddies here as well.

The facebook strategy of maintaining a closed community to try to pull more people in is offensive to me....... they want to control all social interaction over the net. Let us give thanks for groups like this one and the many active Yahoo groups.

H.W.

I think these are relatively new products so there may not be a ton of information about how they perform yet. I know a couple people who have them, and I'm interested in trying them as well. I like that it leaves the option open to add your own Brett cultures. Intrigued, and I'm happily subscribing to this thread to see what others have to say about these blends.

https://squareup.com/market/blackmanyeast

Says the sachets are for 5 gallon pitches at og 1.055 or under.
Forgive my obsessing. I communicated with the guy today and he said they will ship worldwide.

I was talking to him too, but since i mentioned working at a brewery and doing side sour projects for other breweries he probably just didn't mention the 5gal. Good to know!

I am going with two.
The problem that deters from ordering from other sites in the States is like you said, silly prices.
I was once quoted $43 to ship 2oz of bloody hops!

I am going with two.
The problem that deters from ordering from other sites in the States is like you said, silly prices.
I was once quoted $43 to ship 2oz of bloody hops!

Yikes, that's over half of what we paid to ship 15.5lb of hops from Yakima Valley. That said, their international shipping for most orders is flat-rate Priority Mail boxes, so if you wanted 2oz it would set you back something like $25 for shipping unless you could work something out with their customer service. Then again, you could also get a bit over three pounds shipped for the same rate, so the name of the game is tailoring your order to the flat rate box sizes to make the most of your shipping dollar. Once our group order broke the 10lb ceiling for the medium flat rate box after a week of discussion, it was maybe ten minutes before we hit 15lb because every additional pound brought down the shipping price per ounce.

My order is in.
Belgian mix and American mix.
I am,as of now,postbox obsessing

So, it sounds like they don't currently have Brett in their blends? The Pedio strain the have must not be one that throws diacetyl or get ropey.

Subbed to hear results.

So, it sounds like they don't currently have Brett in their blends? The Pedio strain the have must not be one that throws diacetyl or get ropey.
i've heard/read that for the moment, the expectation is that the brewer will provide his own brett. i would not assume that the pedio is un-ropey and doesn't throw diacetyl.

apparently BlackMan is looking for someone to dry the brett for them, so eventually the mixes will contain brett.

I have some friends who chatted with the dude from Black Man Yeast at the Blue Bonnet home brew shindig. They said the dude was super cool/nice, and has a reputation for being a stellar home brewer.
They also bought a couple of sour packets, which they'll be testing soon. I'm giving them some extra TYB Amalgamation brett blend to pitch with the packets.
Given the price, I don't think these packets are going to outcompete liquid strains anytime soon. However, for people who live really far away (Asia-Pacific comes to mind) these packets are likely going to be a great option.

I didn't get to talk to the guy from Blackman but I sure drank the hell out of two of his beers at Bluebonnet this year. They were absolutely phenomenal and easily the best beers available on sampling night. If these are the blends he uses then I'm buying.

Boy am I glad I started this.
Hearing such high praise makes me even more excited that my sachets are on the way.

Still waiting for the poster from yesyerday to update

Does anyone have his email?

Webshop does not allow me to enter international telephone number (or country)

I have some friends who chatted with the dude from Black Man Yeast at the Blue Bonnet home brew shindig. They said the dude was super cool/nice, and has a reputation for being a stellar home brewer.

Can confirm, nice guy, delicious sour beers! Some of the best stuff I tried at Dixie Cup last year.

\
Still waiting for the poster from yesyerday to update

The packet (German sour mix) is in the mail. It'll be next week before I get the yeast, and at least one more till I brew! I have finals the next two weeks; it'll be ~1-2 weeks before I brew. I will update as soon as I can!

Looks like I might get mine and brew before you.
I did not order the German though,so still very much looking forward to hearing your results.
Good luck with your finals

No idea yet. Probably basic grains and try to hi lite the yeast. Maybe add some Brett as secondary.

Latest posts

Back