Anyone got their brewing software handy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm at work and my brewing software is on my 'puter at home.

Would someone who has a built in All Grain - Extract or partial mash converter run this recipe for me? I know I could do it with paper and pen but quite frankly I'm a little muddy this morning (Or maybe it was the Young's Double Choc Stouts I consumed last night.:drunk: )

I don't want to wait til I get home to run it myself, I want to stop at my LHBS and pick up anything I might need, although I have a feeling that this is going to close to the stuff I picked up last night for a basic amber ale recipe I already have.

Thanks for your help!

Here's the recipe I found here this morning that sounds good.

ohiodad said:
This is a clone of the famous but now retired Mac & Jack's African Amber. Adapted from a BYO recipe. Added a few more hops and a little more color. Anxious to see how this one turns out...

Zach & Jack's African Amber
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 1/21/2008
Style: American Amber Ale Brewer: Ohiodad
Batch Size: 5.50 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 7.00 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 77.09 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.27 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 12.0 SRM (11.0-18.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 32.4 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 10.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.16 % (4.50-5.70 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.52 %
Actual Calories: 240 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 11.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 5.13 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 167.1 F 155.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.3-2.8 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 4.2 oz Temperature at Bottling: 60.0 F
Primer Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Also does anyone know of any online convertors and software that you don't need to download, but can just type your info in? I really don't want to dl any software on my work computer, but occasionally I do like to fiddle with recipes while at work.

Thanks again.

You can replace the pale malt with 6.5# of light LME. That raises the gravity a couple points higher than the posted recipe, but close enough.

Can you do a partial mash? That's how I would handle the Munich. If you can't do it, you can substitute it with another half pound of LME. That will bring you in a point or two under the posted recipe, and it's not the same as Munich, but again, it may be close enough for you. You can probably get away with just steeping that pound of Munich, though, but it still won't be the same.

TL

Back