Sudsboy Portable Keg Dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKamp1457

Reaction score
With Spring party season approaching, I needed a way to dispense my homebrew outside. I like trashcan builds, but didn't want something trashy looking (pun intended). I figured a trashcan base w/frame & paneling is the way to go, similar to a few on here.

Disclosure
1) I don't really have a budget, but it's looking like it'll be around $200 based on what I've bought so far.

2) I've had some help on the design/build, so props to my father-in-law and his work buddy.

Materials
Wicker-esque 30gal. trashcan - $24
Stainless Faucet - $19.99
6" Faucet Shank w/Nipple - $24.95
Ball Lock Bev Out - $5.99
1/4" Swivel Nut + Barb - $1.88
5' Bev Tubing - $3.95
Tap Handle - Free (Gifted)
Metal Frame - Free (Hopefully;FIL's buddy found an old metal bedframe and is cutting/welding it)
Wood Paneling - $35
Corner Moulding - $24
1/2" Foam Insulation - $13
Digital Thermomter - ?
Some kind of metal rack to raise C02 tank for easy access - $15ish TBD.
Drain & Pipe- $7
Nameplate - $11
Lid Lock - $5ish TBD
Wheels - $6ish TBD

Frame should be finished this week, then I'll move onto the panels. Updates to come.

The Build
A 5gal. corny + 5gal. C02 tank fits nicely in the can. Room for ice. Planning to raise up the C02 tank for easy regulator access.
1rymx5.jpg

oggf3a.jpg

I'm the Basement Sudsman at home, so Sudsboy seemed appropriate for a portable chiller. Plus Nintendo nostalgia.
fknnms.jpg

Finished frame with can inside
4qg5e1.jpg

Cutting insulation to size
30wr2ox.jpg

Insulation complete (aside from lid)
10cjgid.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be working on the wood paneling, drain plug and designing the collar for the faucet.

Finished sides today. Took a bit longer than I anticipated, so I didn't have time to work on the drain or collar. Moulding will go on next to clean up the edges.

wl40mp.jpg

2qxuj5f.jpg

2nt8yg1.jpg

5/2

Cut/assembled faucet collar (pre-router)

123no0p.png

Test fitted faucet (post-router)

2zjj2fa.jpg

Completed top panel

3c5ew.jpg

Drilled and test fitted drain

2w3t2q0.jpg

5/5

First bit of staining (American Chestnut)

1fk0i9.jpg

5/12

95% stained (missed a spot under the lid)

macda8.jpg

Brass faucet arriving this week

27xf62h.jpg

Lid will have insulation & trim

n4utg7.jpg

5/13

New faucet. Better match
htd9n8.jpg

That's looking great! Assuming that you're chilling with ice, have you planned a drain for the system?

Thanks! Yep, chilling with ice/water bath. I picked up a valve, fittings and pipe for draining. Hoping to put that in this week.

5/2 updates in post #4. Next up will be cutting the collar and assembling the hinge, moulding, then staining. Followed by some finishing touches like a grab bar in the back, wheels (two on the back side), and hinge chain.

Apologies for the lack of recent updates. As with many projects it eventually turned into a beast.

I decided to return the chrome faucet and replace with brass colored to match all the other pieces. Lid construction is complete, save for a couple minor tweaks. I'll be staining this week. Updates to come!

5/12 update pics above.

A couple staining spots left. Hinge needs to be shimmed since it was cut a hair too low. There's a little springy-ness in the lid. I also have to cut/glue the side trim and work on the base trim.

Seal up the plumbing for the drain in the trashcan. Lid supports, handle and wheels shortly after.

Overall I'd say it's about 85% done.

5/15

Found a wood ball at my folks' house for a tap handle. Stained it but turned out very dull. I'll try a coat or two of lacquer and see how that looks.

The black collar is a placeholder until I put in a new thicker wood one. This will extend the faucet far enough forward so I can open the top lid fully.

2iuazco.jpg

5/18

Quick Update: The ball handle didn't look right so I made a more traditional one. Much better IMO.

2gyaa0w.jpg

looks awesome

Thanks! The party I originally planned to debut the dispenser is this Saturday. I cut & stained the faucet extension tonight.

To Do Before May 30th
Install lid support (brass chain)
Silicone drain plumbing
Install nameplate
Sanitize!

Later?
Construct base trim (for easier leveling)
Push/pull handle
Wheels

5/28 Update

Complete! Installed lid support chains, siliconed/screwed in the drain and finished the faucet extension. I'll fill it up with water to test for leaks tomorrow.

1oq8gi.jpg

351hmat.jpg

15hcx86.jpg

2jg8rhx.jpg

Post-Party Update/Things I Learned:

1) I should have transported the keg 1+ days ahead of time. Beer was mostly foam for the first hour, evened out a little, but foamed again later.

2) 2nd foaming bout was probably due to warm line. I'm planning on getting an insulated bag, filling with ice/water and coiling the line in there.

3) I need to use a smaller C02 tank. My 5# did the job, but nowhere to mount it (easily/cleanly). Plus it's sort of a b!tch to transport with all the other stuff. I have an old 9oz paintball tank that I can mount up and out of the ice water for easy reaching & transporting.

2z82b1c.jpg

Funny...I'm the one without a beer.

It looks great! I use a paintball tank for my portable keg, it's in an ice chest. I use a 3ft line with most of the line in the ice. If you keep the keg super cold and use low psi (5) it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back