Chugger pump problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalmah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My chugger pump worked fine all of last year. After a winter of not brewing I just set up my equipment to run some water through and test for leaks before doing my first brew. When I kick on the power the pump motor runs and sounds just like it always had but it doesn't actually move any water. It's primed and all of the valves are open. When I first turn it on I can see the water level in the output tubing jump up an inch or so then nothing. Anybody encountered this before?

First thing I'd do is check your valves ;). Second thing is to disassemble the pump head and manually inspect. If you don't have a blockage, try lubing up the magnet, magnet housing, and the oring seal with food grade silicone lube (e.g. Keg lube). If none of that works you probably have a motor problem.

I had something like this happen to my March pump. When i opened it, i found that the impeller was stuck on the shaft, probably from some residual wort or cleaning solution that dried. I wiped it off, put it back together, and it was fine.

The pump is magnetically driven. That means that the motor will run without turning the impeller. Pull the front plate off and make sure the impeller can spin freely.

H.W.

What they all said. I had a seized up pup too last brew. It's my own fault for not having ever done a tear down on it and completely clean it. Just running water or PBW through the pump after brewing will not get all the gunk out.

Thanks for all the advice. I connected a garden hose to the input, forced water through and ran the pump at the same time. It worked fine on it's own after that (with water anyways). The water pressure must have dislodged whatever was binding the impeller. I'm still going to take everybody's advice and do a teardown and cleaning before my next brew.

It's my own fault for not having ever done a tear down on it and completely clean it.
4p.jpg

The vendor deal is that we provide the warranty service. When you call up Dodge headquarters because your engine is making noises, they will tell you to take it to an authorized dealer too. I don't know why that is so disheartening especially when we had a new pump out in the mail to you within 5 minutes of receiving the call and it's not going to cost you a dime. I could see if you got the run around

March makes a great pump also, but you'll pay an extra $70 and warranty service shipping is on you.

Bobby is a great standup guy, and I see customer service is top rate as well! I'm glad your dilemma is resolved, my rule for my brew equipment and most other things is preventive maintenance rules the day. I'd rather maintain than repair.

For some folks out there. This is the advantage of dealing with Bobby even if you can find something in China cheaper.

Service, it's all about the service!

Back