How's my Rye Pale Ale look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just designed a new rye pale ale recipe and I wanted to see what everyone thinks. Shooting for an easy drinking house rye pale recipe where the rye definitely comes through in the flavor. Here it is:

8 2-row
1 rye malt
1 flaked rye
1 crystal 60
1/2 white wheat

.5oz columbus 60
1oz mt hood 10
1oz amarillo 5
1oz mt hood 5
1oz amarillo dry hop

WLP 001

IBU 44
OG 1.054

Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance.

I love rye,so I would be tempted to do away with the wheat and just add more malted rye.
The MtHood look like the odd one out. If you have more Amarillo,go with that instead. Other hops that go great with rye malt are Citra,Simcoe and Motueka

Thanks for the reply... does the malted rye contribute mouthfeel at all? I was including the wheat for a little body and mouthfeel. Would leaving the wheat and upping the malted rye be ok? I have the mt. hood paired with the columbus because that's what denny conn had done in his rye ipa and it seemed to go over well with most. I definitely wouldnt be against adding some simcoe as it is one of my favorite hops.

The rye malt give wonderfull silky creamy mouthfeel. It is a great way to "ballance"(I hate that word) big hops.

Go with the Simco,I am sure you will love the buggery out of it,excuse me whilst I check myself for overly elevated levels of Englishness,;)

Back