Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > at what temp does yeast die?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
53sparks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default at what temp does yeast die?

i have my first batch in the secondary, every thing was going well i did hydro test before i transfered it showed that it was done, then last night my heat quit in the garage where the beer was, the air temp got down to about 50 degrees i didnt have a thermomometer on my carboy but i dont think the beer got that cold it was covered. the garage has in floor radiant heat so ithink that helped, at what temp does the yeast die? i am just concerned about carbonation when i bottle, Thanks Ron

Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It won't die from cold, just slow down. Just warm it up to room temp before bottling and it will be fine.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Unless it freezes solid yeast does not die from cold, it just goes dormant until it warms back up. Heat will kill the yeast cells but I am not sure what the exact temp is. I am guessing it varies by the yeast.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
Unless it freezes solid yeast does not die from cold, it just goes dormant until it warms back up. Heat will kill the yeast cells but I am not sure what the exact temp is. I am guessing it varies by the yeast.
Just for future reference and because I am a geek, yeast will be critically injured at 120 and killed off at 140. Cool will retard it's growth and cold will slow it down to nothing. Yes, you can kill beer yeast with freezing unless you protect it's cells from bursting.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
danbloke2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Just for future reference and because I am a geek, yeast will be critically injured at 120 and killed off at 140. Cool will retard it's growth and cold will slow it down to nothing. Yes, you can kill beer yeast with freezing unless you protect it's cells from bursting.
Phew...so if I accidentally let my beer temp rise to 28/82 it will be OK?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
BurtConnor
Recipes 

28C/82F is fine. When baking bread I use water at blood temperature (around 37C/98F) to get the most out of the yeast.

Not sure how that sort of temperature would affect beer though. I'm keeping mine at a 'cooler than room temperature' limit.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
danbloke2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtConnor View Post
28C/82F is fine. When baking bread I use water at blood temperature (around 37C/98F) to get the most out of the yeast.

Not sure how that sort of temperature would affect beer though. I'm keeping mine at a 'cooler than room temperature' limit.
mmm. me too. It was never my plan and let's just say there was a miss reading error. I keep mine in an out building which stays just about the right temp usually wih the little heat the freezer in there kicks out. Anyway, in error I miss read something and deceided I needed to put the brew belt on the barel. I had a look this morning and it was at 28C....

Does anyone know if this might have killed it?

I usually get the airtrap bubbling by now (about day 3)

So, didtch it and start again to be safe? Don't wanna waste by only barrel on a month of undrinkable beer.....

PS. cool forum. I have only just disscovered it!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
BurtConnor
Recipes 

From what I've read, no bubbling doesn't mean no fermentation and I think the general advice is, stick at it. Take a hydrometer reading after a week or so to confirm whether there is activity.