"Pine Fruit" hops from yakima valley hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this variety?

I had a galaxy dry-hopped kolsch from bluejacket brewery in DC and it was fabulous. It inspired me to brew something similar.

I have a couple ounces of "Pine Fruit" hops and was thinking of dry-hopping with them.

Google search doesn't come up with much. One review was used in a saison which usually has a lot of fruity esters that can be distracting, another person used it in combo with citra...which I think overpowers just about any other variety out there.

Anyone use pine fruit on its own?

I used it at a 1:1 ratio with Nelson Sauvin. The beer had a very heavy garlic flavor and aroma which I attributed to the Exp Pinefruit. I don't have the quantities I used on hand, but it was a very heavily hopped IPA, dry hop was probably in the 2+ oz of each. I don't plan to use it as a dry hop ever again. Toss several pellets into a Bud Light and recap, let sit for several days, then refrigerate for a day or two, pour into a glass and see if you like the aroma/flavor.

Edit: It mellowed out after about 6 weeks in keg. The beer is now enjoyable, but I would reduce the amount used to late hop if I used it again, and not dry hop with it.

I did a single hop Saison with it that turned out great. I don't have the recipe with me. I'll try to remember to post it later.

I picked up a few ounces when I was visiting Brooklyn last weekend and plan on using it in an IPA in the upcoming month or so.

It's apparently Exp 05256, which Nate Smith lauded in his AHA talk on new hop varieties. It's up on the Chop & Brew youtube channel at about the 23:00 mark.

I'm a big fan of Apollo, which this is a daughter of, so I'm looking forward to it.

cool beans. thanks for the replies.

I have a kolsch in the fermenter now and will dry-hop with 2oz of pine fruit.

I'll report back in two weeks :)

cool beans. thanks for the replies.

I have a kolsch in the fermenter now and will dry-hop with 2oz of pine fruit.

I'll report back in two weeks :)

I am definitely interested in hearing how this goes. For me, this hop seems way too intense for a delicate beer like a Kolsch. Good luck! :mug:

Trying out the kolsch dry hopped with pine fruit hops.

Not overly impressed with this hop variety. Aroma isn't as intense as I would like. Definitely not "simcoe like" at all. I would say they are similar to comet, very faint pineapple aroma

Back