Hops can kill dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcopolo

Reaction score
HEY EVERYONE,

Just a reminder as hop growing season commences that dogs can die from eating hops !

They basically overheat from the inside-out and die.

I forget the correct medical terminology, but I think it important that we all remember how dangerous hops are to our brew-buddies !

Cheers !
:mug:

There's a sticky for this one.
When I hear people growing them on their chain link fence, I always ask if a dog lives next door.

There's a sticky for this one.
When I hear people growing them on their chain link fence, I always ask if a dog lives next door.

I dunno, I rarely look at individual sub forums.

Gonna try mine in my front yard.

Not saying that hops can't kill dogs, but I can say that I have been growing hops around dogs for years and the dogs have zero interest in actual hops. They'll often nibble the tips of new shoots; however, they have no interest in the actual cones. And these dogs will eat most anything else, chewing on plastic easter eggs over the weekend, for example.

The more significant danger, as has been stated before, is throwing out the trub from a highly hopped beer where the dogs can get at it--i.e., hops covered in sweet wort. That's something we all just be mindful of around our furry friends.

Thanks for the warning, my dogs have been around my hops plants for years and have not shown any interest at all, Even if I have a hops cones around, still no interest. BUT when I empty my hops spider, they would love to scarf that stuff up, Nope straight to the garbage can.

2805798-9931013354-2421526-7724001060-863903f2fa251f0867cddcb4beb41665_30356.jpg__thumb

Two points:

#1: You probably don't need to worry about it when you're growing, it's brew day that's trouble. Dogs don't like the hops themselves, and usually only eat them when they're mixed with spent grains, covered in sweet delicious wort, etc.

#2: The reaction is a bit like kids' peanut allergies – most dogs are just fine, but the few who aren't fine will get very gravely ill. Not to say it's the same biological process (I'm no biologist, I can't argue it one way or the other), just a similar pattern of distribution. This is the tricky bit – just because you've seen dogs #1, #2, and #3 gobble down three quarters of a pound of spent hops from your last DIPA without breaking a sweat doesn't mean dog #4 will also be OK.

Back