Finally got around to getting some more supplies and a couple more kits. Stopped at the not-so-local HBS while I was out of town this weekend and grabbed a 6.5 carboy, another BB Irish Stout kit, and a pound of both Crystal90 and Chocolate Malt, to modify a little..
The first batch of this I didn't let age long enough by any means, but I wanted a bit more flavor out the crystal in the end. Hopefully it works, will know in a month when I open the first one (trying to stick to letting it age a bit) but 2 months for the rest if the beer store keeps stocking Guiness..
I think my technique improved greatly this time around. I was more patient with everything, steeped the grains about 10 min longer, actually took the time to activate the yeast according to directions. And it shows by the activity today.
Couple pics posted, first is lastnight about 7 or 8 right after yeast addition. I also used yeast nutrient in this batch. Others are at 7 this morning and 12:30 this afternoon. Going like wildfire. I also took a video of the churning, it's almost as strong as a light boil going on inside there..
Thanks for the advice you guys have provided, just wanted to share another batch..
Crap, I guess attachments are only for the paid accounts.. Trying photo bucket then for now.
Here's a couple videos I made to send to SWMBO as well.. She likes to see whats going on.