Buffalo Group Buy - April 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - Welcome to the Buffalo group buy for April 2015.

I'd like to officially open the Buffalo Goup Buy for April 2015.

We have an opportunity to get special bulk pricing from Dunkirk Homebrew Supplies in Dunkirk, NY.

This is our second group buy. I received several emails from people who missed the first group buy, asking about doing another one.

Here is the grain list and pricing for the Buffalo Group Buy only: http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/BuffaloBulkBuyGrains/tabid/666/Default.aspx

Rules of the group buy:
  • We need a minimum of 10 50/55 lb. sacks to get the special pricing.
  • 10 lb. sacks are available, but do not count toward the minimum sack count.
  • Please PM me directly with your order. If it's posted online it won't count. Include the product ID listed in the first column on webpage, the description, and the price to help minimize mistakes.
  • I will keep the buy open until 04/30/2015 assuming we get the minimum # of orders.
  • All grain must be picked up at the same time. I will take care of the pickup.
  • Grain will be distributed in Buffalo. We can determine a convenient location for everyone as this progresses. Worst case, we can distribute at my house in Getzville.
  • I will provide updates on the amount of grain we've ordered as the buy progresses.
  • If you want to do splits, please make arrangements among yourselves.
  • Payment will be required prior to ordering, so please be prompt with your payment. You can PayPal me directly or send me a check made out to the vendor. I will forward all payments to the vendor. I'll provide payment details after we close the group buy.

Group Buy Process:
  • Accept orders through 04/30/2015.
  • Group buy closes on 04/30/2015.
  • Accept payment (~1 week).
  • Place order with vendor.
  • Wait for order to arrive.
  • Pickup order in Dunkirk.
  • Distribute in Buffalo, NY area. Location TBD.

Thanks for getting another buy together! I'm definitely on board for this buy. I just have to go over what is in the "chute" and what I will need in the future. I've been brewing like crazy getting the stock up so I can play with new ideas.

I might be in for a few sacks let me check my inventory and I'll get back to you

So far I have commitments for 4 sacks.

4 - 1928C, Briess 2-ROW BREWERS MALT 50 LB, $48.00ea

We need 6 50+ lb sacks to place an order.

Please PM me if you're interested.

I placed my order but if we fall short I'd be willing to split a sack of Pilsner to help make the 10 sack minimum.

Just got orders for 3 more sacks:

1 - 1850C - AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN MALT (1.5L) 55 LB -$49.00
1 - 1928C - Briess 2-ROW BREWERS MALT 50 LB - $48.00
1 - 1915C Muntons MARIS OTTER MALT BLEND $59.00

OK - we are at 12 sacks. Looks like the group buy is on. I'll give it another day or two, then close it out.

I'll send email notifications and payment instructions once we've officially closed the buy.

3 - 1852C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PALE ALE 55 LB,
1 - 1862C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM VIENNA MALT (5L) 55 LB,
1 - 1866C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM WHEAT MALT (2.5L) 55 LB.

5 more sacks ordered. that puts us to 17.

Great I'm happy the group buy is on... I made my first double size starter yesterday. I'm pouring off half to save for the next starter. Just started to bring 11 gallons of water up to temp for an Old Ale I'm brewing today.

OK - April 2015 grain buy is officially closed. I will send out payment and pick up details within the next few days. Please pay promptly. I can't place an order until I have everyone's money in hand.

No problem at all!!! It is the season with summer coming and all. I'm retired and I'm going 90% of the time... even trying to fit in a batch of beer is rough right now. Yesterday the main project was planting 10 planters and 7 hanging baskets, over 130 plants. Today we are tearing up 3/4 of the front porch floor for replacement and some other repairs for a week long project. So I sympathize when you say you are busy. As I say when it gets done it gets done. Thanks for all your effort!

Email sent last night.

Still waiting for a few responses. Once I get them I will forward a spreadsheet with order details and payment instructions to everyone.

Email sent with final order spreadsheet attached. Please let me know if you did not receive it. Also, please verify your orders. I had some last minute changes, so make sure you're getting what you ordered.

Please remit payment ASAP. I can't place an order until all the money has been received.

I have a question for those of you that have bought bulk before and use gamma seal lidded buckets. How many does it take to hold a sack of grain? I have only used them to store 10lb and 1lb bags. By that gauge it looks like 2 will almost hold a 50lb but not quite. Anyone??

I'm good! In anticipation I picked up 2 more gamma set ups. I now have 4. I've always used one for base grain bags and one for 1lb bags. Left over "flavor" malt is stored in quart and pint mason jars in the ale pail mill bucket, they usually get pulled out on brew day anyway. With this buy I'll have more grain on hand than I have ever had so I'd better get my butt brewing!!!

I'm good! In anticipation I picked up 2 more gamma set ups. I now have 4. I've always used one for base grain bags and one for 1lb bags. Left over "flavor" malt is stored in quart and pint mason jars in the ale pail mill bucket, they usually get pulled out on brew day anyway. With this buy I'll have more grain on hand than I have ever had so I'd better get my butt brewing!!!

I do something similar... everything goes in the buckets with gamma lids. White lid for base 2-row, orange for adjuncts/other (DME, rice hulls, priming sugar, etc), and black for specialty malts (leftovers go in freezer ziplocks with air squeezed out, I used to vacuum seal leftovers but felt it wasn't necessary). As I use more and more MO I'll use blue or something for that.

I do like your mason jar idea though. I could always vacuum seal those and get "best of both worlds"... hmm...

Just an update for the grain buy. The money has been sent out and I was notified that it was received.

We're just waiting for an estimated delivery date.

I'll communicate that as soon as I get it.

I do something similar...

I do like your mason jar idea though. I could always vacuum seal those and get "best of both worlds"... hmm...

This is my first bulk buy. I use the mason jars because of the seals. Last year I had an Indian rice moth (I think) problem from rice or something a roommate brought in from the co-op. I was afraid they would get into the malts, eeek. I had mason jars on hand and since bought more to fit 8oz of grains better. I try to taylor my recipes to half and 1/4 pounds of possible. I use MoreBeer a lot so I cut off the label and slide it in the mason jar with the new weight. When it is gone I save the label for next time, pic added.

b-boy I like the idea of the bulk gamma dog food containers. I'm trying to figure out where to build a brew kitchen/house. Once I pick a spot and build I think bulk dog food bins are in the picture.

Grain storage.jpg

Just heard back on the delivery status. There's a chance we may get the grain this Thursday, which means we can arrange a pickup soon after. I'll let you know when I get a hard date.

I'll send a formal email later, but the grain is in. I will pick it up in Dunkirk tomorrow evening. If anyone is near Dunkirk, they can stop by the store and I can give them their grain then. I will be there ~6:30 or so.

I am in the process of packing up to move, so I will not be able to pick a central site to do the distribution. Easiest thing for me would be people coming to my house to pickup the grain on Saturday/Sunday. If anyone has any issues, we can figure something else out.

I'll send a follow-up email with detail directly to the group after work this evening.

Back