Dry hopping while carbing/dispersing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
So I have an IPA I brewed and it's been carbing in the keg for about a week and a half. Still it's not carbbed up enough but I tasted and would like some more hop aroma. Could I put more hops in my hop ball and still drop it in while I drink it?

So I have an IPA I brewed and it's been carbing in the keg for about a week and a half. Still it's not carbbed up enough but I tasted and would like some more hop aroma. Could I put more hops in my hop ball and still drop it in while I drink it?

Sure.

The only thing to be careful of is the types of hops you're using for the ball, as I've found pellet hops disintegrate and go right through and clog up my poppit and diptube. So, for leaf (whole) hops, a bag is fine. Just remember to not pack them in there tightly, usually only about 1/2 ounce fits in mine, and use more balls if you want more than that. A fine mesh bag works great for pellet hops and leaf hops as well.

If the beer is cold, remember that it does take longer to extract the dryhops flavor/aroma from the hops. I often leave my dryhops in the keg until the keg is gone, as long as the keg is in the fridge. I never get a grassy or off flavor from that.

Well for some reason I cannot get it carved up good. Stil sort of flat and it's been sitting at 14psi for 2wks now. It is cold but not sure if I should crank it up and lave it for another week and then turn down to 9-12 for serving?

Well for some reason I cannot get it carved up good. Stil sort of flat and it's been sitting at 14psi for 2wks now. It is cold but not sure if I should crank it up and lave it for another week and then turn down to 9-12 for serving?

We have no way of answering without knowing:
  1. What temperature?
  2. What is your desired CO2 volume?
  3. How long are the lines in your kegging setup?

Temp is around 38
It's an IPA, first one so I'm not positive what normal carb would be psi wise
Line is bev-seal I believe 12'

Temp is around 38
It's an IPA, first one so I'm not positive what normal carb would be psi wise
Line is bev-seal I believe 12'

Have you sprayed starsan or soap on all of the connections/around the lid to ensure there are no leaks?

Presumably the valve on your cylinder is open to the keg? Meaning you didn't just give the keg a shot of gas then close the valve off.

No leaks and no, the valve is open but I have done that before :)

14 psi at 38* should give you 2.75 volumes, probably a bit higher than the average commercial brew. 2 wks should be enough so something is not adding up. Have you used this regulator before, i.e. know that the gauges are working? Are your other beers carbing okay? The keg is for sure holding pressure? How is it pouring, i.e. is there a lot of foam and then the beer is flat, or pouring smoothly and still no carbonation in the beer?

It's pouring a lot of foam and then beer is on the flat side.. I have used the reg before and do have a spare. Should I try that?? If the keg was leaking I only use a 2.5lb bottle so I would think it would be empty if there was a leak???

It's pouring a lot of foam and then beer is on the flat side.. I have used the reg before and do have a spare. Should I try that?? If the keg was leaking I only use a 2.5lb bottle so I would think it would be empty if there was a leak???

If that's the case then likely your system is not balanced for that level of carbonation and when you pour it is knocking all the CO2 out of solution leaving you flat beer underneath a bunch of foam. You probably need longer lines. I keep my kegerator at 13 psi and 40-41* and need 10-11 ft lines.

My line is around 10-12'. I just do not get it. Maybe I will not force carb next time and try priming sugar???

There are other reasons why pours are foamy. Damaged or missing o-ring under the Out dip tube flange; partially blocked Out poppet, dip tube or disconnect; Out poppet not opening fully; Out dip tube bottom slammed against the keg.

I'd eliminate all of those because natural carbing won't fix any of them...

Cheers!

Back