Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > New Mexico HomeBrew Forum > New Club Idea

Old 01-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Default New Club Idea

I am looking for feedback and input on a club idea I have.

I want to form a club that is all about brewing.

I would like to get together and brew, particularly with an eye on style and competitions (club-only and the like).

I want to do it mostly at my house, using my system, which can turn out a solid 45 gallons. I am also planning on building a walk-in, so we could ferment and condition the beers appropriately.

I am thinking a small club, maybe 6 or 7 members, meet once a month on a Friday after work. I am off on Fridays, so everything could be ready early.

The club would focus on designing recipes, using appropriate ingredients, including yeast. Maybe lay out an annual schedule of brews, make assignments, that kind of thing.

Then send beers to competitions.

Of course we would need to sample, evaluate and judge. Taste commercial examples.

I am also thinking of being selective in membership. Get the good brewers together and see what can come from it.

So, is this too geeky or elitest? Maybe it would be the EAC Brewers Guild or something like that.

Thoughts...

Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

New Mexico is a little too far to drive.... even if it is only one evening a month.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

It's a very different model for a club than that which you generally see (usually more open to newcomers). But, I think it's a really good idea. I would think of it more in terms of being a "Guild" than a "Club." By-invite only, which is absolutely appropriate since you will be holding it at your personal residence and you clearly have lots of toys with a high black-market value.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ahhh to be one of those chosen few... to be held "guild worthy" by brewpastor... to be able to do 45 gallon batches....

These are the dreams that us newcomers must aspire to, I bow to thee...

Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Yeh, being picky could be tricky but I really don't want to have to waste brewing time, that isn't to say I would be against teaching folks, but I don't want fifty guys with bad beer gas drinking down my reserves and then filing a suit against me because they smashed their POS car into my house.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a similar idea, except that instead of 100% focus on brewing, it was more of a 'boys club' for my group (many of whom are homebrewers, or at least enjoy good beer and would homebrew if they could).

It would be the same theory, meeting regularly, drinking beer, formulating kick ass recipes, sampling, poker, strippers, and of course, some brewing once in a while.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love New Mexico. This just might inspire the move. Well maybe another 15 years.

Magic Bus Brewery

Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Hoppylikerabbits
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey Brewpastor. Did anything ever happen with this "club" i'm highly interested!! Im stationed down at Cannon AFB (Clovis).

Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
celticdevildog
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I see that this thread is way old.. but I'd be interested in seeing if this ever took off. I currently live in Santa Fe and a drive to Corrales is not that far for me. My only caveat is that I'm a straight up newbie. My kit is still in the mail expected sometime this week.

If I don't meet the requirements of the "Guild" I understand, but I'm still interested in learning and providing what little feedback I can at this stage in my brewing career.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticdevildog View Post
I see that this thread is way old.. but I'd be interested in seeing if this ever took off. I currently live in Santa Fe and a drive to Corrales is not that far for me. My only caveat is that I'm a straight up newbie. My kit is still in the mail expected sometime this week.

If I don't meet the requirements of the "Guild" I understand, but I'm still interested in learning and providing what little feedback I can at this stage in my brewing career.
I am considering joining the dukes of ale club in abq. I am in rio rancho and tried to start a club here but couldn't seem to get a core group with enough interest to brew once a month so i dropped it. I think brew pastor is inactive here.. too bad as corrales is right next door to me. We have a nice lhbs here in rio rancho now as well. I all grain biab and brew twice a month.

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty