First Time Using Kettle With Valve - Help With Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
This weekend I'll be using my new 10g kettle that has a ball valve and side pickup tube installed. Prior to this I used a regular kettle and my process was:

-Boil
-Cool in ice bath
-Pour wort through funnel into Better Bottle (removing hop debris)
-Ferment

Now, since I have the valve, I definitely need to chill using my immersion chiller since it can't be put in an ice bath and then drained through. I'm planning to whirlpool in order to remove as much hop debris as possible. Can you guys help me confirm that my process is right? I'm thinking:

-Boil
-Put IC in the kettle with about 5-10 minutes left to go to sanitize
-Cool wort
-Take kettle off burner and put up on a higher table (since I need the gravity later to use the valve to drain into my Better Bottle)
-Stir with sanitized spoon and allow it to settle for 15-20 minutes
-Spray Star San on outside of valve
-Hook up sanitized tubing to my spigot with the other end into the Better Bottle
-Open valve and transfer
-Ferment as usual

Does this sound right? I've tried some tests with my kettle with a hose hooked up and I get much better flow if the kettle is sitting on a higher surface.

Thanks for your help. :mug:

Sounds about right to me. The side pickup tube and a good strong whirlpool should really help filter out a lot of the kettle trub.

Awesome - thanks guys. And yes, I always try to add oxygen before fermentation. Forgot to write that.

Pretty much. I built a small stand for my propane burner so it was high enough to drain from with out moving it after the boil.

I did the same when I used gravity. If its a 10 gal batch, thats a lot of weight to move. If you have a spare sheet of plywood around, rip some pieces and make yourself a 16" table and put the burner on top of that.

Back