When do you give up on a rhizome?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted 3 Centennial rhizomes 11 days ago on the 14th and the weather has been very cooperative since then with highs in the 60s/70s and lows in the 50s with rain every few days.

The first rhizome to sprout came up after 4 days and is now about 7 inches tall. The second came up after 6 days and is about 4 inches tall.

The third shows no sign of growth I can see. I gently dug down enough to expose the rhizome and it didn't look like it was growing at all.

I want to eventually have three plants growing on my teepee but before bailing on the last one I'd like to give it sufficient time. After about how many days do you just give up and start over?

Pull it, pot it, plant another in it's place if you can source one quickly. Be ready to put it in somewhere if it takes off. Might or might not.

It's a natural product. And they are alive. Some die. It happens. Sometimes you get a dud.

I gave up on the potted rhizomes when they were found to be decaying, otherwise, all the pots got watered regularly, then replanted.

TeeJo

I've had them take a week, and I've had some surprise me after nearly a month.

If the slow dude isn't rotted I'd rinse it off and make sure there's at least a viable node, and replant it you find one.

Otherwise, what you have is a root...

Cheers!

Thanks all. I saw a node when I uncovered it today so if I don't get some action soon I'll try the washing/repotting option and then go ahead and order a replacement.

Commercial fields usually plant two to a hill just for that reason. A rhizome is a living thing and some make it some do not. If it has a new node you should be fine.

I gave up yesterday and dug up the un-spouted Centennial rhizome after 16 days in the ground and replaced it with some Magnum rhizomes I bought. The dug up rhizome showed no sign of growth but I stuck it in a flower pot anyway and left it in the garden.

I took Halifaxhops' suggestion to plant multiple rhizomes in each hill which will hopefully give me better results than I got with the failed Centennial. I ordered two Magnum rhizomes about a week ago to replace the failed Centennial but the seller sent me 6 so I planted 3 per hill.

The other two Centennial rhizomes I had previously planted seem to be doing great, growing at least an inch a day, so that I think I will be training the longest bine by early next week.

I just about gave up on one I planted in January and yesterday I noticed a little green thing sprouting out of the ground. I'm thinking it had something in the dirt it needed to grow around. The other three plants are between 2 and 5" tall.

Latest posts

Back