PBW and plastics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westermans

Reaction score
so I just read in another post that some say PBW not good for plastic equipment. Some have mentioned they have ruined a couple better bottles. I have a fast ferment (plastic) conical that I have been using PBW in for about 3 batches. Normally let it soak with all the parts (hoses, airlock, lid, gasket, washers, beer thief, pretty much everything) for a couple hours sometimes. Should I be worried about damaged plastics from this?

Ditto - I've used PBW in the past for my plastics, and continue to use OxyClean Free with TSP90 added, which I read is chemically pretty similar to PBW. Never had a problem.

They mentioned it eats through the plastic leaving small dimples in the surface. They must be using a hell of a concentration ratio.

Never had an issue with PBW on plastics either.. I think it says on the container that you're only supposed to soak for about 25-30 mins if I recall correctly.. However I've soaked for longer and never had any issues. Just make sure to rinse well with hot water after the soak. "Rinse well with potable water of the same temperature" is how they word it on the container, I believe

Yes, rinse with potable water of the same temperature. I've never had problems with PBW & plastics of any kind no matter how long they soak. Besides PBW comes in plastic jars...

Repeated soaking with PBW or Oxyclean with hard clear plastics like thiefs and autosiphons will produce crazing and hairline cracks over time. Something about the oxygenation pulling chemicals out of the plastic. Replaced mine after a year. Quick wash is probably OK. Never had a problem with soft plastics like buckets and hoses. Different kind of plastic.

Hmmm... If legit, that might explain the faint cracking I see going on in my autosiphon over time. Pretty sure that's the only thing I have with that particular type of plastic though...

How would you clean those, if not PBW/Oxy?

I use PBW, but I also use aquarium lift tube brushes for auto siphons, spigots, hydrometer tubes, etc. I also have a 66" long, 3/8" keg line brush I use with PBW for cleaning hoses & such. Then rinse'em out & hang to dry.

I ruined a few Better Bottles by soaking overnight and not using the correct PBW:Water ratio. They developed small pin holes that I discovered when I went to sanitize while brewing.

I almost did that with my 6G BB once after secondary of a batch of Whiskely. For whatever reason, I decided to pick the Better Bottle up & swish the PBW around, & everything washed right off the inside! I was quite surprised by this, as I'd also bought a carboy brush just in case!

My 6 better bottles have been cleaned by oxyclean soak for the last 5+ years. I brew a lot, so I would conclude that oxyclean has zero effect on the BB's. Cleaning involves filling with water and 1 scoop of powder, then letting soak for 3-14 days depending on when I get around to hosing them out.

I have a carboy washer coming in the mail. Should shorten that cycle considerably. Can't wait!

I also found that it's cheap & easy to drip dry the Better Bottles by turning them upside down in one of those 5 quart ice cream pails. I find many uses for them around the house & brewery.

I think I just lost a plastic big-mouth bubbler to this issue.. I left PBW mixed at the rate suggested for fermenters sitting in it for 5 days (Sunday night until today). About an hour ago I walked down stairs to pour a beer and found the fermenter quickly leaking out through a crack near the bottom. Pretty upsetting (both the mess and the loss of a relatively new fermenter).

I guess I should also mention that the first batch in that one turned wild despite being rinsed with warm water and then treated with my normal sanitation practices. This was the first and only beer that's done that. Fortunately, the resulting beer isn't half bad after a year of aging. So maybe the year+ sitting with beer at a pH of 3.3 had something to do with it too.. Either way I don't think I'll be buying another plastic BMB.

Was the PBW hot? They don't like heat very well. Or having large amounts in them & moving around or shaking a lot. I just swish some around in it to clean it, then rinse & drain.

The water I used was about 95 F - came out the end of my immersion chiller towards the end. So warm but not hot. I had no idea PBW and plastic didn't get along.. I'll leave it for no more than over-night in the future.

Does glass have any similar issue? I assume not but I almost always leave my starter flasks soaking for a week because I'm lazy... I also boil my starters in them so I hope they are fine.

BB's Directions say they can take 140F, but I don't use hot water in it with cleaners. Always seems like it weakens the plastic. combined with the weight, anyway. Glass ones aren't tempered, so they break easy.

Back