Pint Flow Rate Preference- Opinions Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeiaMarcus

Reaction score
I'm wrapping up my tap lines in my home bar. I have a full size fridge, four kegs/tap lines running through the side of the fridge, then through the wall in to my bar. I've set up a blower fan and return duct to circulate the cold air. Very short run- vertical rise from kegs to tap is 2ft. I have been researching the proper beer line length, but I have encountered a hurdle- Flow Rate.

According to mikesoltys.com (determining proper hose length), the Flow Rate is default to 10 seconds. That seems a little long to pour a pint of beer. I have been researching, but haven't found anything definitive on the subject. I have even found a number of websites which have videos covering How to Pour the Perfect Pint.... as neurotic as this sounds, I have even put a stop watch to their pour and it's consistently around 5-7 seconds, with 5.5 being the average.

I understand how the Flow Rate will effect the line pressure, faster pour will equal higher pressure, etc. But, I'm interested in hearing what people on this site think. I am leaning toward 5.5 second flow rate. What Flow Rate do you have on your setup? Pitfalls to 5.5 or 7 second Flow Rate?

I should note, I am kegging mostly IPA's and Brown Ales. I do have a Honey Weizen going online soon for the summer. As always, opinions and replies are much appreciated.....thanks!

If I was running a concession stand at an NFL game w/ 80,000 thirsty fans I would be concerned about flow rate, w/ my homebrew not so much, a good pour that is not painstakingly slow is all your after. I would err on the side of a slower pour, longer beer line given the choice.

I have it set to 11 psi (pales), 10 ft of line, my pour is around 5 seconds. I pour directly into the bottom of the glass and get a near perfect pour every time.

This is just me thinking out loud (since I don't have any experience kegging), but wouldn't the speed of the pour affect the head of the beer? Meaning, that if you pour it faster (more aggressively), then more of the dissolved CO2 will escape, creating more head. If that is the case, then I would think that there would be an optimal pour rate for each style of beer. For example, when I pour a nice hefeweizen from a bottle, I tend to pour it more aggressively so as to create the big head on it, than say a stout, which shouldn't have as much of a head.

How do you adjust the flow rate after you have everything installed? Do you just shorten the tubing or is it related to CO2 pressure? If you had 2-4 kegs of the same beer in your kegerator you could do a blind comparison with some friends to see which flow rate is the best (if it even makes a significant difference).

I have it set to 11 psi (pales), 10 ft of line, my pour is around 5 seconds. I pour directly into the bottom of the glass and get a near perfect pour every time.

That makes sense and kinda what I was leaning towards. My beer line from IAH came with 5ft of line with the connections already on it. I think I'm going to try it, then adjust if necessary. I feel like I'm going to be adjusting up in beer line.

This is just me thinking out loud (since I don't have any experience kegging), but wouldn't the speed of the pour affect the head of the beer? Meaning, that if you pour it faster (more aggressively), then more of the dissolved CO2 will escape, creating more head. If that is the case, then I would think that there would be an optimal pour rate for each style of beer. For example, when I pour a nice hefeweizen from a bottle, I tend to pour it more aggressively so as to create the big head on it, than say a stout, which shouldn't have as much of a head.

How do you adjust the flow rate after you have everything installed? Do you just shorten the tubing or is it related to CO2 pressure? If you had 2-4 kegs of the same beer in your kegerator you could do a blind comparison with some friends to see which flow rate is the best (if it even makes a significant difference).

I agree, HappyHopper....I don't want to get a fast pour at the peril of my pint. I'm trying to get the happy medium....less than 10second pour and near perfect head. It seems like experimentation is going to be the course to follow.

That makes sense and kinda what I was leaning towards. My beer line from IAH came with 5ft of line with the connections already on it. I think I'm going to try it, then adjust if necessary. I feel like I'm going to be adjusting up in beer line.

Wouldn't you want to be "adjusting down" on your beer line?

10 ft. or better, since you're doing a sort of "remote" run, and then shorten from there, if needed.

That's the "usual" procedure..............:mug:

Wouldn't you want to be "adjusting down" on your beer line?

10 ft. or better, since you're doing a sort of "remote" run, and then shorten from there, if needed.

That's the "usual" procedure..............:mug:

My new taps came with preconnected mfl lines with 5' of line....I'm not changing them until I need to

If I was running a concession stand at an NFL game w/ 80,000 thirsty fans I would be concerned about flow rate, w/ my homebrew not so much, a good pour that is not painstakingly slow is all your after. I would err on the side of a slower pour, longer beer line given the choice.

Definitely this for me. On first reading this thread 10 seconds sounded long to me too, but I just timed it - 10.4 seconds. I don't have 15 people lined up behind me waiting for refills so yes, worrying about that extra 5 seconds does seem neurotic. :D

My new taps came with preconnected mfl lines with 5' of line....I'm not changing them until I need to

You need to. You may want to consider doing it first, before putting it in and then tearing it back and and replacing it with 10 or 12' of line. I'd go with 12', because the worst that can happen is that it takes 2 seconds longer to pour. With a too-short line, you've got foaming and then seemingly flat beer because the c02 is knocked out of suspension due to the lack of restriction.

You may 'get by' for a short time with 5' lines, but not happily.

As long as the OP doesn't start a Yet Another "Help! My pours are all foaaaaaam!" thread he/she can do whatever he/she wants...

Cheers!

Update....so far so good. The 5ft of line works great. Pour rate is 7.5 seconds and delivers nice head. First beer from the bar is a hit!

I went back and looked at the beer line calculator and measured from the top of my kegs to the tap height and it's 1.5ft. I originally was measuring the distance the line would travel vs the vertical rise from top of keg to tap height. The line runs through the side of the fridge, through an insulated pipe to the tap.

FTR the "ideal" flow rate depends on the beer temperature and carb level. The warmer or more highly carbed a beer is, the slower and gentler the pour needs to be to prevent excessive foaming. The reason most kegerators and kits come with 3-5 foot lines is because they assume you'll be trying to emulate commercial serving conditions, which means <36F, and at those cold temps a fast 7 sec pint fill rate works fine. Many homebrewers try using those same lines for beer at 40F, and end up with a glass of foam, and by trial and error find that they need closer to 10' of line to prevent that.

Also, those 5 sec pint fill times are likely not accurate. Those were more likely the ubiquitous 12oz "pint" glasses that most bars and restaurants in the US use. Even with very cold beer and moderate carb levels, a 7 sec pint fill is about as fast as you can go without creating a little excess foam.

Back