Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Looking for tips on improving my beer
Old 01-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking for tips on improving my beer

I have now been brewing for about 3 years. Throughout this time has all been extract with steeping grains. I have made some great beers the last few years but I find myself searching to make things better. Recently I have been looking at improving my equipement. I now have more glass carboys, brew pot with weldless thermometer, and immersion chiller. All of these have improved my beers by helping keep everything within tighter control. Lately I have been using starters which has also improved. Next I want to start force oxygenating my beer before pitching yeast. I find myself leaning towards AG more and more but it is not an option now. What else can I do to help excel my beer to the next level? I am feeling that better equipement may not excel me but to develope my own recipes and start building from there.

On Deck -
Primary1 -Hop Knot 10/04/07
Primary2 -
Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -

Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts

Probably the next step would be tighter temperature control on the ferment. If you are getting consistant results following recipes, take a favorite and change the grain bill.
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
Old 01-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think it is important to develop a rating system for how much you like particular styles and batches of beer. Then home in on your very best and modify the ingredients to develop a really great beer. I have also had a lot of microbrews lately to give a comparison. I am highly impressed by Lagunitas IPA and Terminal Gravity IPA. Much less so with a slew of other IPA's. So, I think I will be brewing similar IPA's and play with the effects of various hops. I find on styles that were disappointments, it was also a microbrew disappointment. With more than 25 years experience, I had brewed suprisingly few varieties until just a few months ago. Just beginning to truly experience the possibilities.