Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mentorship Program - Interest
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Mentorship Program - Interest

olllllo mod EDIT: I broke off posts that revolved around how the site can support mentoring features and layered access.. here
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=48769

Use this thread to discuss interest and how it might happen given the current forum structure.

MODS: if this would better fit in site suggestions, feel free to move.

One of the things I've noticed about the people on HBT is the willingness to go the extra mile to help a fellow brewer out.

Here's another chance. Being new to brewing (less than 55 gallons produced) and really new to all grain (one batch) I could pepper you all with redundant questions, or I could read all of the threads over and over then throw caution to the wind and learn first hand all of the mistakes that could be made all on my own. There is definitely something to be said for going through the growing pains of being a brewer. It gives you a respect for the process, and we could all do that.

OR... I could float this idea past you all and see where it takes us. For some of you with the ability to teach, you have loaded up your vehicle and driven down the road to watch a new brewer and help them along with the process. Some may need a full day commitment and others may need a simple pre-brew review and a check of their equipment. The long story short is you may have the ability to save a noob from quitting and maybe even developing a future world class brewer. Not to mention the chance to add to your list of friends.

I'm in a position to brew my second all grain batch. Armed with the knowledge of my first batch's mistakes, I might be able to brew something drinkable. I would however be interested in inviting a more experienced brewer over to observe and comment (not to mention drink my beer)

I was thinking who out there would be willing to go on a geographical list of "brewmentors" willing to make an "in person" visit on brew day? As new brewers asked for assistance, a phone conversation and a possible visit (if the brewmentor deems necessary & has the time) can be made.

Some times hands on "show me" learning works better.

What do you think / have to add to the idea?

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 109

There's definately merit to the idea. It's something that has happened in an informal manner. I helped Evanmars with his first AG batch, just like Glibbidy helped me and Chillhayze and a bunch of others at the first Yankee Ingenuity get-together. It's a matter of finding people who are local, which is why it's so important, I think, for everyone to fill out their geographic location and have it displayed.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Local Homebrew clubs also help out. It's how I learned as I sought out an All Grain Mentor that way.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't agree more. I have had a number of brewers over to my place to split a batch and go through the process, and would be more than willing to go out and assist others. I can't say I'm a super expert, but I make good beers (and bad ones) and know the process well.

Although having too many forums is a PIA, I may have suggested once before (and would still like to see) some localized forums for areas that seem to have a good selection of brewers. I know that Maryland has a large number of brewers and could benefit from a MD/DC/NOVA regional forum to discuss local gatherings and meetups. Yes, I know we have a forum for that, and yes, the forum isn't used so much that posts get moved around to 2nd and 3rd pages. I know my idea lacks merit.

Another thing I propose (maybe different from this) is the idea of local 'subclubs' of HBT. I know there are a thousand local clubs that many of us belong to, but it would be nice to be part of HBT - Maryland which has a regular meetup to brew and swap without the hassle of the forum brew swaps. This would give newbies a chance to come out to a meeting/session and learn and find a local mentor who would help them brew.

Maybe it could be combined in the introductions forums so that new members post introductions into their local regional forum which would give them better contact with regular members who monitor their areas.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Local Homebrew clubs also help out. It's how I learned as I sought out an All Grain Mentor that way.
the problem here is that the brewclub that was here dissappeared 5-10 years ago

i know of no other club locally
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Let's go through the mechanics of it. The MODs may be a bit of help in this one.

If I was to compile of list of volunteers in geographical areas, and send that to TX, or one of the mods. (I'm seeing a member directory style list but by geo area) They could put that in as a page on the site where folks could just PM the individual to start the process. Leave the control up to the volunteer / mentor to take it to the next level.

Could / would this be something simply done if we had a list of names?
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown

Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5740 Times on 4110 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John
Let's go through the mechanics of it. The MODs may be a bit of help in this one.

If I was to compile of list of volunteers in geographical areas, and send that to TX, or one of the mods. (I'm seeing a member directory style list but by geo area) They could put that in as a page on the site where folks could just PM the individual to start the process. Leave the control up to the volunteer / mentor to take it to the next level.

Could / would this be something simply done if we had a list of names?
I really like the idea. Let's see if something practical will come out of the idea.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Unless one of the mods is willing to take this on (for ease of working with the site) I'll start compiling the list. In time, say by the end of January or when we hit 20 people, we'll send the list to TX for his review.

Any experienced all grain brewers willing to spend the time mentoring others in your area, please PM me with your specific location (State and City) and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great idea. Hell, I might even volunteer to do the Southside of Atlanta.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I' up for the Northwest of England.

Will travel for beer and food. and cost of transport.

Closed Thread