Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Zach & Jack's African Amber

Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #81
Cascadegan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I feel like an idiot for never having tried this and being born and raised in the northwest!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #82
dwightr8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed a batch of M & J's last week using yeast harvested from a keg (I live near the brewery). Gravity went from 1.060 to 1.014 in 4 days. I'd have to say the yeast is definitely healthy. Hopefully it doesn't get too dry. My question is how do M & J's get their beer to stay cloudy? I read someplace they may put a little wheat in theirs. Anybody know for sure?

Cheers,

Dwight

Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #83
McTarnamins

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightr8 View Post
Brewed a batch of M & J's last week using yeast harvested from a keg (I live near the brewery). Gravity went from 1.060 to 1.014 in 4 days. I'd have to say the yeast is definitely healthy. Hopefully it doesn't get too dry. My question is how do M & J's get their beer to stay cloudy? I read someplace they may put a little wheat in theirs. Anybody know for sure?

Cheers,

Dwight
Dry hopping without filtering usually makes the beer slightly more cloudy. I brewed my clone version of this recently and dry hopped 1oz of cascade for 7 days. It came out with a slight cloudy look.
Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"

Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #84
biggben
Recipes 

Ok i think that the yeast might be to fruity of a yeast. I live here in the northwest and drink mac and jack all the time i sat the two side by side very similar beers. the hops are dead on but its definitely sweeter than original mac and jack. i am going to try a couple of different yeast strains to try and narrow it down. Wish me luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #85
dwightr8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ben,
You need to harvest some of the real m&j's yeast from a growler or keg. It's really easy to do and in the long run will save big $$$! I harvested from a keg but it should work fine from a growler. All you need to do is get a growler of m&j's, let it sit for a few days to let the yeast settle out (it would be best to use a clear growler so you can see what going on), and carefully pour most of the beer out (and drink it - important step). Using DME, make about a liter of 1.040-1.050 wort (good pictorial on it here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/) At step 6 add the yeast from the growler instead of yeast from a package. I basically followed this procedure for my latest batch. It's dry hopping in the secondary now but from a little I have sampled it tastes really good. The gravity was down to 1.012 after about a week in the primary so the yeast was certainly viable! I'll have to do a side by side when it finishes and let you know. Also lots of good info in the Fermentation & Yeast forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Dwight
bluelakebrewing Likes This 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #86
biggben
Recipes 

ok so my question is if i go to the bar and get a few glasses of mac and jack will it work the same as the growler? they have it on tap from the keg. otherwise i will have to go to redmond. and for future reference can you do the same from a 22 of craft beer that has been bottle conditioned?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #87
dwightr8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most bars will fill a growler for you. As far as a 22 goes, if you let it sit for a while (a couple of days or so) and you see sediment in the bottom you should be good to go. With the amount of yeast you would get from a 22 you would probably want to only use maybe a cup of wort and build up to over a couple of iterations to a liter or 2. I've sampled my beer a couple of times now and it's looking really promising. Next week I'll go down to m&j's and pick up a growler so I can do the side by side.

Cheers,

Dwight

Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #88
biggben
Recipes 

thanks for the info im head on out to grab a growler (for my wifes bday lol)

Cheers

Old 06-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #89
Demadbeerscientist
Recipes 

107 today in Fresno brewing this one up again! No need for insolation on the mashtun today held at 154 for 65 min

Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #90
HammelBrau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this one up and, by the weight of the keg, would say I have about half a pint left. The only bad thing I can say about this one is that I only brewed 5 G of it. I'll be doing a double batch this weekend in hopes of it lasting a little longer. With the friends that now know I will soon have this on tap, however, that might be wishful thinking.

Thanks again for the recipe. I agree with an earlier post that dry hopping is a must. I did it all in primary and she came out lovely.

Cheers...