DIY clone of the BIAC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpedersen

Reaction score
Has anyone considered doing a DIY clone of the BIAC?

As much as I would like to support Nathan, I must accept the fact that living in the EU, $500 of shipping and 25% import taxes on top of that, makes it an extremely expensive brew rig. Were talking $5100 for the medium sized BIAC :eek:

So I have been thinking lately, why not take the half barrel conical fermenter from SS Brewing, add a Mash Colander, a pair of 2.4Kw kettle elements, and use the FTSS temperature control system to chill the wort, as well as for temperature control during fermentation.

I have no doubt the "real" BIAC will be superior in terms of craftsmanship, as well as ease of cleaning, but at half the price including a PID and a stainless pump ...

What do you think?

I'm sure it could be done by a clever diy engineer. I think you will have to work out a way to build in a heating element. The BIAC element uses a 2" port instead of 1.5". You would probably have to remove the heating element so the cooling device would fit. But, yes, I do agree about the shipping to Denmark. The BIAC comes in two large wooden crates and shipping from Vancouver, BC to me in Atlanta was not cheap.

I want a BIAC and I am going to be purchasing the 3 in 1 sometime in the near future. All the added stuff can be had for much cheaper. $2k for 3 in 1 including shipping, the temp controller for ferm/mash can be had for $85 from Auber, build a boil control panel for around $125, I already have the pump, solenoid valve/fittings is another $50, add in another $100 for fittings/hoses and all that is left is either a BIAB bag or even having a custom hop screen made (~$125) that doubles as mash collander and you can have it for around ~$2500 after shipping (to me in the states that is). I will keep a list of expenses as I do this.

All the added stuff can be had for much cheaper. $2k for 3 in 1 including shipping...

I have thought about going in that direction, but even then I end up at $3300 for the 3-in-1 and mash colander, or $2500 without the mash colander. The main problem here being the import tax.

You would probably have to remove the heating element so the cooling device would fit.

I would definitely want to avoid that, removing the heating element from a tank full of boiling wort would defeat my quest for simplicity.

There is actually one good thing about building it myself. Using two 2.4Kw heating elements enables me to brew half a batch using one element only, enabling me to brew from a standard wall plug if needed.

But you are right on regarding the space issues. I need to make sure there is enough room for the two heating elements, while having the colander or chilling coil submerged into the tank.

Did you ever build this? I'm going to pull the trigger soon on the half barrel chronical from ssbrewtech. I'm going to use the hot rod heat stick and do BIAB. The good thing is I can remove the element for fermentation. But during the mash my concern is that the element will not fit down in the cone part of the conical and sit in the upper portion of the liquid. The bag would then have to wrap around the element for the grain to be submerged.

I have talked with the guys at ssbrewtech and the cone on the half barrel chronical holds about 5 gallons. So I would probably have to always do 10 gallon batches.

Anybody currently doing biac have any input?

Been thinking about this...seems to be there ought to be a way to make one given this hardware set:

1) SS Brewtech 14 Gallon Conical plus SS Brew Tech Temp control $800
2) Blichman Brew coil for heating mash water and boiling. $150
3) Blichman RIMS rocket for maintaining mash temp $300
4) Grain Basket $200
4) Chugger pump $150
5) SS fittings and tubing $200
6) Immersion chiller $100
7) Controller $400

Pretty quickly get over $2K...

Mods to the conical would include:
1) supports for brewing basket (so it did not sit on the Boilcoil.
2) Install of boil coil
etc...

Kinda makes one realize the prices for these (Brewha and BrauSupply) are not too out of line...

I built one just haven't had a chance to brew on it yet. I'm making a walk-in ferm chamber first I have about $1500 in everything. I'm using a modified hot rod heat stick with biab in the half barrel chronical. Can't wait to use it, clean up is going to be a breeze.

Back