Anyone use Columbus hops for flavor or whirlpool additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Planning my dipa I was going to use .5oz Apollo at 5 min, hopstand and dry hop but my lhbs doesn't carry it so on their chart it listed Columbus as a substitute so since I'm bittering with Columbus I decided to go with that. I see this is a pungent earthy hop which is what I was going for with the Apollo but I don't want it to dank that it overpowers the citrus of the amarillo, simcoe and citra, just a nice compliment to that. Does Columbus say .5oz at 5 min and 30 min hopstand work well, I'ts a new hop to me. Also thinking of using it as a dry hop too with amarillo and simcoe, will it overpower these two. I'm making a big 9% dipa so the. Malt will def be there as a backbone.

Columbus is one of the US "C" hops, along with cascade, centennial and chinook.

It's citrusy, but not as much as cascade and it's got this wonderful 'dank' flavor and aroma to it. I wouldn't call it 'earthy' but perhaps it could be 'wet dirt' instead of 'dank'. It goes very well with other citrusy hops.

I love it in IIPAs- especially this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-elder-clone-296940/

Columbus is a beast! Awesome clean bittering and incredible contributions to flavor and aroma.

I LOVE Apollo for bittering as well. From an aroma/flavor/dry-hop standpoint I'd say there are marked differences between the two. I find Columbus to be more complex. Apollo, to me anyway, is defined by the pungent spicy orange aroma it imparts, which is awesome, but for late additions and dry hops I would try Columbus first! I've done 6 oz. dry hops where only 0.5 oz was Apollo but its character still came through unmistakably.

21st Amendment Back in Black-Black IPA uses Columbus (CTZ) hops for their flame out and whirlpool hops. If you can get it, try that to get an idea of the flavor, aroma, and taste.

Also a CTZ fan. While it doesn't have the celebrity of Citra or Simcoe, I think it more than pays its way. Plus, I never balk at throwing in a bunch as it is consistently the least expensive hop I buy.

Also a CTZ fan. While it doesn't have the celebrity of Citra or Simcoe, I think it more than pays its way. Plus, I never balk at throwing in a bunch as it is consistently the least expensive hop I buy.

I just bought a pound of columbus, now that you mention it.

The only thing cheaper is willamette. I think I paid $8/pound or so.

Columbus is one of the US "C" hops, along with cascade, centennial and chinook.

It's citrusy, but not as much as cascade and it's got this wonderful 'dank' flavor and aroma to it. I wouldn't call it 'earthy' but perhaps it could be 'wet dirt' instead of 'dank'. It goes very well with other citrusy hops.

I love it in IIPAs- especially this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-elder-clone-296940/

I feel like Columbus has a citrusy licorice flavor/aroma to it IMHO. I love it. Only brewed with it once (a "northwest dopplebock"), but will deffinitely be brewing with it again.

I just bought a pound of columbus, now that you mention it.

The only thing cheaper is willamette. I think I paid $8/pound or so.

Willamette and Chinook are two of my other favorites and equally a bargain. If I had just these three, plus some Cascade or Centennial for variety now and again, I'd be a very happy homebrewer all of my days. (Luckily I don't have to limit myself. Which reminds me: I want to try some NZ hops.)

Maybe I have a bad batch from Yakima Valley Hops, but every Columbus brew I've tried over the last year has thrown soapy flavors. I did a single hop pale ale with Columbus and it was just about undrinkable. I poured out the last few bottles to free up some empties. I've still got a few ounces and I'm honestly thinking about just tossing them out.

Back