American Pale Ale with brown sugar? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Pale Ale with brown sugar?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #11
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Stowe, VT

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I threw a lb. of honey in with the LME and I let 'er rip. The 3 gal. wort is in my tub right now chilling out and soon it'll be eating time for the little yeasties The boil smelled honey-rific and I'm curious to see how it all turns out. I'm sure you guys will hear about it. Thanks again,

WOT

Old 01-24-2006, 05:12 AM   #12
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsOnTap
Hey guys, I just got a Brewer's Best American micro style Pale Ale kit and I was wondering: if I want to "kick it up a notch" could I add some dark brown sugar for a rummy flavor and added strength? Also, how much should I add if any? The help is appreciated...
we do it to our IPA's sometimes. add 1 cup at the last 5 min of the boil. it's yummy!

Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Stowe, VT

I might have to try that in an IPA, I bet the hops offset the brown sugar flavor nicely... I'll let you know how the honey works; hopefully it gives me a good dose of alcohol plus a subtle flavor of honey to boot!

I pitched it yesterday at 3:00 and this morning it was bubbling at 1 per minute, but now it's going steadily faster - 1 every 15 sec. or so. I really think that vigorously stirring the yeast in makes it ferment out faster. Either it's the froth (aeration) or the thorough mixing of the yeast, or both, but I had a stout ferment out in 3 days doing that - now this batch seems to be off to a good start as well!