Which to use Irish Moss or Whirlfloc? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Which to use Irish Moss or Whirlfloc?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Frederick, MD
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Bob, the owner of my LHBS, told me that Whirfloc contains a small amount of gelatin. This for me is the biggest difference because there are several people I want to share homebrew with who are vegan.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #22
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
Bob, the owner of my LHBS, told me that Whirfloc contains a small amount of gelatin.
I thought this sounded a little odd, so I did some searching. The product data sheet confirms that Whirlfloc doesn't contain any gelatin (or any other animal based products).

Xier Likes This 
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #23
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbal
Do you add irish moss straight to the wert or should i use a mesh bag?
Don't use a bag. You're supposed to rehydrate it in warm water before adding it, but several people here just throw it in dry, and say they get good results.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #24
Mayday99
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone ever heard that you shouldn't use whirlfloc in extract based beers?

I think I may have read this in Palmer's book in one of his charts.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #25
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday99
Anyone ever heard that you shouldn't use whirlfloc in extract based beers?

I think I may have read this in Palmer's book in one of his charts.
This thread covers the subject pretty well I think. It addresses irish moss specifically but I think it applies to any kettle fining agent.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #26
thenick
Recipes 

Oct 2013

Hey guys,
Okay, I'm asking because I'm a new guy. I've been doind canned wort extracts with hopped LME. I have only started to hear about this, but here's my question:

What the heck is whirlflock? A clarifying agent? I don't get it. I thought the beer I made was pretty clear and tasted great and I never added this to it. Can someone explain this please? I get it, it binds to proteins but what does it do to the final product?

So confused!!

thanks!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:01 AM   #27
Ed-inTXHell
Recipes 

May 2012
Dallas, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using irish moss for about 50 brews. I never get chill-haze anymore (the reason i started using it), and i usually have good clarity, although i'm sure i could improve it with filters. Rehydrating? Why? You put it in 5 gallons of boiling water, what do you think is going to happen? I just pitch it in the kettle, no bag. The only reason i would switch to whirlfloc is because I brew outside. Two times in my last 50 brews the wind flipped my plastic measuring teaspoon and scattered my moss. So i had to get another scoop of the stuff. Paying 2x as much doesn't justify 2 scoops (not like they both aren't super cheap). If anyone has done a serious comparison, and brewed the same batch 2x (one with whirlfloc, one with straight irish moss), we'd all love to hear if there were any noticeable differences.

k1ngl1ves Likes This 
Old 06-23-2016, 03:10 AM   #28
k1ngl1ves

Recipes 

Feb 2014
Joliet/New Lenox, Illinois
Liked 927 Times on 478 Posts

Holy Hell! 2nd post too! I'd love to know what you necro'd for your first post!
Click image for larger version

Name:	7e577822_necropost-jpg.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	359511  

daphatgrant Likes This 
Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #29
homer383
Recipes 

Aug 2016
, Slovakia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,
regarding "necro posts" --> If you use "Google custom search" field in the upper right corner of this side, it usually returns quite old posts at the first places.

But regarding irish moss --> I tried it first time today. I did a ~6.6 gal (25L) batch of extract irish extra stout. I just threw it into last 18 minutes of the boil. Here are my findings:
  1. It smells like a fish tank Unfortunately I was able to smell it during the boil. So I started to worry about the idea of using it. I hope this is normal and the smell will not be present in the beer after fermentation. The smell was disappearing with the boil, but I could smell it slightly even at flame out.
  2. It looks it cleared the beer pretty nice. But when I compared this batch to the previous ones without irish moss, I noticed there was no nice heap of the hops in the center of the kettle (after whirlpool). Is this normal when using irish moss?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #30
homer383
Recipes 

Aug 2016
, Slovakia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tasted the beer I made using the irish moss. The beer is great. No "fish tank" smell or taste So I will continue using the irish moss.