Add priming sugar to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radio2

Reaction score
Hi all, I just wanted to ask if this will work, I am brewing 1 gallon batches and use the fizz drops when bottling (only 5- 22 oz bottles). so I want to use corn sugar and just add it dry to each bottle, the sugar priming calculators I used say 38 grams of corn sugar divided by 5-22oz bottles = 7.6 grams per bottle. so is it ok to just prime each bottle with that amount dry? the fizz drops are dry and work fine but corn sugar is cheaper

Yep. I've notice no difference carbing with cane (table) sugar vs. corn sugar. You just have to plug the correct one into the priming calculator.

For priming, table sugar does the same job as corn sugar. It's cheaper and you don't need to use as much to get the same level of carbonation. Plus it's nearly always on hand.

Dumping a measured amount of dry sugar into the bottle is a valid method of bottle priming. I'd put the sugar in before the beer.

Last edited:
And I would turn/flip the bottle around a few times after it was capped to get the sugar and beer more evenly distributed.

I kegged an american pale ale, and filled 6 bottles just to have on hand. Only after I had the keg all sealed up did I realize I wasn't sure the best way to prime the bottles so I just grabbed the corn sugar and put a spoon of it in each bottle. They immediately reacted to it and foamed up, I thought they were going to make a mess but each one foamed to the lip and stopped. I capped them and put them in a sealed container, assuming it was a bad move and that they would blow up. We opened them a month later and they were excellent.

If you measure the right amount, this seems just fine. Maybe you could dissolve it in some water to get even distribution before bottling, but it doesn't seem necessary.

*LOL*

Seriously, I think it's a little south of a teaspoon - but at these volumes, it's difficult to get an even amount into each bottle. That's why most everyone says to batch-prime. I was hesitant to do so, as I see it as one more chance to introduce an "unwanted" into my beer as well as oxygenate the beer, but if you do what most people say, it works fine. NOTE - do not think "Well, my counter is 3 feet above the floor, 4 feet of tubing should work!" Go ahead and get 6 feet (or more) of tubing, that way when it doesn't uncoil all the way, the end of the tube is still at the bottom of your bottling bucket.

Stupid "memory" in the tubing, not letting it uncoil all the way...

;)

Back