Counterflow Chiller Tutorial - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

Old 03-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #81
ddroukas
Recipes 

Dec 2007
huntsville, alabama
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have gross tons of copper laying around the house from various past projects; I think I'll build a CFC. My question--in true n00b form--is this: when gravity feeding a CFC, does it require merely one pass to reduce to pitching temps? Does one need to pour from a collection bucket back into the kettle and send it through for a second pass?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #82
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1622 Times on 1050 Posts

A single pass brings the wort output temp to about 5F above the coolant temp. So, 65F coolant will get you near 70F wort output.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #83
ddroukas
Recipes 

Dec 2007
huntsville, alabama
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby M: I'd assume the change in temperature is dependent on the length of tubing in the CFC, with matching the coolant's temperature being the maximum potential. I brought the image of the Chillzilla into photoshop and figured approximately 14 feet of tubing in the chiller. I have 50 ft. at my disposal. Logically, after a certain length, extra tubing becomes superfluous and a waste of money for little effect on temperature change. What length of tubing would you suggest I use for my DIY chiller?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #84
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Erie, PA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'll tell you this much, I pump at 3-4 gpm through 25' and get within 5' of the coolant. If you are gravity draining, I believe you could go shorter, since the wort spends more time in the chiller.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #85
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ

I'd stick with 25. It's a little overkill for a gravity drain, but you'll be glad if you ever buy a pump.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #86
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Erie, PA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'd stick with 25. It's a little overkill for a gravity drain, but you'll be glad if you ever buy a pump.
and i bet you will, I think a pump was one of the greatest additions to my brewery. I'd recommend that anybody using a cfc, eventually get a good pump.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #87
processhead
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Nebraska
Liked 131 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinison_fan
Nice tutorial Bobby, and great timing- I've got all the stuff sitting on my workbench to put mine together tommorow. I bought my 50' copper tubing (3/8) from coppertubingsales.com (it was $44-47 delivered).
The other thing is I bought a cheap vinyl hose, but may hold off and get a rubber hose instead.

Another thought for those that don't have the torch-borrow one from a neighbor, or get the neighbor to soldier it up for you in exchange for a few homebrews.
I built my CFC using a design identical to Bobby's except I went the cheap vinyl hose route.
Well, ten years later, its still going strong, although I would probably use a better grade of hose if I were to do it over again today.

BTW, very nice tutorial, Bobby.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #88
Anthony_Lopez
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Groton, MA
Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts

Those 1/2" to 1/4" reducers are a PITA to find... none at home depot, lowes, or the local plumbing supply house... I used an end cap and drilled it out...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #89
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ

Interesting. My Lowes had two boxes of 100 or some other obscene number.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #90
Anthony_Lopez
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Groton, MA
Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts

I was somewhat surprised to find that they didn't have them as well... Only place I found them was mcmaster, but I really wanted to get this beast built. I'll post pic's on the process once I'm done.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate