Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #331
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
What was the problem with soldering the reducer?
for me it was very difficult to push that 3/8" copper through the reducer it was a very very very tight fit and once its all assembled with the hose to deal with it was a PITA. if i were to make another one i'd

roll the hose and copper out straight
slide the reduce on the 3/8" copper first then solder it all up
then wrap around the corny keg for a perfect circle

doing those two things makes this no harder than making a IC chiller

-=Jason=-

Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #332
Flomaster
Recipes 

would using 1/2" tubing and a clamp on the end of my 3/8" CFC work? or should I step back up to 1/2" using another reducer and attach a male or female adapter ?

kinda what Captain_Bigalow did here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Bigelow View Post
I am half way through building mine (also my first time soldering). Just waiting on the soft copper to deliver. I used another 1/2" to 1/4" reducing coupling, about an inch of 1/2" straight pipe then a 1/2" threaded fitting. This enables me to use my PFD QD's.

Wort in...

Wort out (0-100f thermometer attached)...

The second one I am making will be the conventional one featured on this thread. PM me if you are interested in it.

-=Jason=-

jimjart Likes This 
Old 12-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #333
mrlisk
Recipes 

The soldering aint pretty (first time doing this), but this project is under way over here. Just need a couple more 1/2" x 1/4" reducers

fittings...

Nearly done (no leaks!!), just need fittings for the wort...

Reason: updated pics/progress

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #334
bwiens
Recipes 

Used mine for the first itme this weekend and it chilled great. Only problem I have is the flow is too low to whirlpool when going through it. I was going to recirculate through it to chill in the kettle and whirlpool at the same time. I will now jsut swap a hose after it is chilled and whirlpool. Not a big deal and it sure beats putting the immersion chiller in.

As for the flow, it is the CFC and not the rest of the system. I am using a LG pump, cam-locks with street elbows and 1/2" silicon hose. I can whirlpool just fine with the CFC not in the loop. I was trying to use this beyond its design, so it is not an issue with the chiller either.

I may look into a high-flow chiller, but I am thinking that process change is better than equipment change at this point.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #335
Flomaster
Recipes 

so I added to my CFC got a street male adapter and another 1/2x1/4 reducer I am thinking I might want a 1/4" 90 to have the hose and copper both facing the same direction.

the male adapter is not soldered to the cfc so I can add a 90 if I want.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #336
troy4500
Recipes 

Made my chiller after reading this thread. I really liked the connections that AHB sells, but didn't like their price so I built my own. Cost me about 60.00, but I didn't shop around for deals at all, and took about 15min to put together. Thanks for the great ideas Bobby.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #337
LaCrosseBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I built mine one evening last week. I used 20' of 3/8 copper. Used it to brew a batch yesterday. In Wisconsin in January, our tap water is pretty cold, but the wort still came out a tad too warm. 25' might be the sweet spot.

One question - how do you get the rubber to clamp tightly to the smooth copper? I had a couple leaks I couldn't resolve by tightening the clamps. Just curious if there's a tip/trick people use to seal these up better.

Great thread - thanks to Bobby and others for contributions to make this a risk-free undertaking.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #338
Flomaster
Recipes 

I brewed today... CFC worked flawlessly.

I used mine with my chugger pump and did a CFC back to BK for whirlpool. it took a little longer and whirlpool probably wasn't needed because the wort returning back into the BK was the same temp as the tap water 70ish.

anyways it worked perfect

@Lacrossebrewer i soldered my fittings on an used Cam lock fittings. I had no leeks at all.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #339
LaCrosseBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
@Lacrossebrewer i soldered my fittings on an used Cam lock fittings. I had no leeks at all.

-=Jason=-
I soldered a connector on the wort-in tube to use my McMaster QC, and that worked great. On the wort-out i just used a normal hose to go into the carboy. The leaks were all on the garden hose where I just had those clamped onto the 1/2" brass tubing. Maybe I'll pursue a soldered solution there, too, as I have seen a couple others do with their pics. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #340
babbott
Recipes 

This went together pretty easy and carefully coiled it around a 5 gal bucket. How much resistance should there be when i blow through the 3/8 tubing? Feels like it gained some.