Counterflow Chiller Tutorial - Page 29 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #281
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts

Bobby, Just wanted to say thanks and give the thread a bump. I finally got around to building one and it kicks the IC's ass. I'm down to one bag of ice, anf 7 gallons of water to chill 5 gallons in about 10 minutes.

Now I have to figure out how to valve it into the rig

Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #282
New-B-Brewer
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Ohio

Bobby, thanks for the great tutorial. I just built mine today. I got all the parts for xmas, gave my wife the parts list. I'm sure the guy at HD thought she was nuts. They had a hard time figuring out what size hose clamps I needed, he kept telling her they wouldn't work on the copper, I'm sure he never thought I might be cutting the hose. I guess I should've given her a picture of the finished product.
Of course, I cant post without asking a question. I use two 5gal pots to boil right now because I haven't gotten a chance to cut the top of my keg or buy a propane burner. Anyways, if I'm gravity feeding my cfc can I pour from one pot into the other as it starts to get low or would that cause oxidation problems? Only one of my pots has a spigot in it.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #283
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1690 Times on 1087 Posts

Although I like to keep hot splashing down to a minimum ideally, I don't think pouring into the spigoted pot will be a problem.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #284
New-B-Brewer
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Ohio

Thanks for the tip Bobby. If I put the second pot in an ice bath while the first pot drained through the CFC (5 mins or so) would that be better or worse for oxidation? I know it would be safer to pour because it would probably be down below 150 degrees.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #285
New-B-Brewer
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Ohio

I tested mine today. I cooled 3 gallons of boiling vinegar water in 7 minutes through the spigot on my pot. My cooling water was 48 degrees and I ran it at about 3/4 gallon/minute. my cooled "wort" came out at 66 degrees. Cant wait to use this thing for real.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #286
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
WI
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I am in the process of upgrading my whole brewery. Last summer I built a single tier stand and increased my inventories of ingredients.

The next step is to complete a number of processes at which point the brewery will be compete. (Ah, except for replacements and upgrades. I have a large garage to be converted to become dedicated brewery space.)

Anyway, this CFC is an addition I have desired for some time.

I will be ordering the copper tubing soon and need to know which 3/8" tubing to get.

I may order it from here: http://coppertubingsales.com/copper_tubing_prices.php

Is it the Air conditioning, Type K or type L that I will need?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #287
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ

air conditioning..

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #288
Bullka
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Springfield, Missouri

Has anyone done something similar to this
http://www.forrestwhitesides.com/node/44
in lieu of a buying a $25 Thrumometer?
I was thinking of putting something similar on my CFC when I build it next week.
I am going to leave a couple extra inches of 3/8" copper sticking out from the "out" end of the chiller and just stick the thermometer to the 3/8" line.
Has anyone tried this or think it will work?
I know it won't be real accurate but can give me a pretty good idea for only $3

I am building this out of my old 60' immersion chiller. I will make a second CFC if anyone is interested in buying it.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #289
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ

Since you're likely to go to a 1/2" ID piece of tubing on the output, I could see using a 4" piece of 5/8" OD copper pipe on the output that you can attach the LCD thermo to. My hesitation would be a limited temp range as sometimes I chill to 45F for lagers.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #290
drop
Recipes 

Feb 2010
hati
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts