Any differences is 10,5,1min hop additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Just like the title says. Wondering what the differences if any would be in all the late hop additions as fas as timing. Or can I just throw them all in at say 5 min and call it a day. Other than bittering hops of course. I also plan to start doing hop stands as well.

I would say that there are, but I don't have any science to back that up. I would however, say there is a huge difference in a flameout addition and a hopstand. I have done both and I would say that if you want huge hop flavor and aroma a hopstand is unquestionably the way to go.

This may not be what you want to hear, but taste/aroma is subjective, so you need to experiment and see for yourself which you prefer.
A 10 minute boil will lose a fair amount of aroma.
A 1 minute boil may not add enough flavor.

I use a 1 hour bittering hop addition, some at 15 minutes, and more at flame out and dry hopping.

Not necessarily what you were asking, but wanted to see what the effect on IBU's would be.

I just created a sample recipe in Beersmith:

• 10lbs 2 Row
• 1oz Centennial at 60 minutes
• 5.5g batch.

This gives me 33.6 IBUs

If I add an additional 1oz at the following times (not three additions, three tests):

• Add 1oz at 10min: 45.8 IBU (+12.2 IBU)
• Add 1oz at 5min: 40.3 IBU (+6.7 IBU)
• Add 1oz at 1min: 35.0 IBU (+1.4 IBU)

So if I'm really just going for maximum hop flavor not necessarily aroma or bitterness when is the ideal time to add?

I just did a Columbus SMaSh with 2 additions, 60 and FO. Tastes like a pine forest, tons of aroma too. You're going to get 10 answers for flavor additions. I'll always do an early boil/FWH, because I want the bitter. I need the bitter. It drives me.

So if I'm really just going for maximum hop flavor not necessarily aroma or bitterness when is the ideal time to add?

I've always found that a hop stand gives me the most flavor and aroma. Do some research on the process, its really worth it IMO.

I really think this depends a lot on what you're looking for. Every

There are four main hop oils, each of which responds differently to heat. Myrcene is associated with American hop varieties and is the most volatile of the four. Humulene and Caryophylene are much less volatile. More boiling time thus tends to promote Humulene and Caryophylene based hop flavors and aromas. I have found that excellent german hop character can come from 30 minute additions, but that's not somethign I would do with an IPA.

It also depends on how you chill. A 15 minute addition chilled with a plate chiller will have a different effect from the same chilled by putting a pot in a bath tub.

Back