Visiting Puerto Rico this week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm taking a short vacation (4 days) to San Juan, PR this week. I will be flying in Wednesday and returning home on Sunday. Anyone got any suggestions on some good local beers to sample or any local watering holes to visit? I will be renting a car, so I will be mobile. That being said, I don't want to travel ALL over the island (although I'm thinking of driving down to see the radio antenna there!)

So I'm taking a short vacation (4 days) to San Juan, PR this week. I will be flying in Wednesday and returning home on Sunday. Anyone got any suggestions on some good local beers to sample or any local watering holes to visit? I will be renting a car, so I will be mobile. That being said, I don't want to travel ALL over the island (although I'm thinking of driving down to see the radio antenna there!)

I was there yesterday, and didnt have any luck finding local beers. I know there are a couple of breweries popping up, but again...couldnt find any. If you want to try something local, the only brewery I know is Old Harbor brewery (http://www.oldharborbrewery.com/default.html).

Send me a message if you have any questions, i spent 25 years living there before I moved to this winter wonderland :)

I was there yesterday, and didnt have any luck finding local beers. I know there are a couple of breweries popping up, but again...couldnt find any. If you want to try something local, the only brewery I know is Old Harbor brewery (http://www.oldharborbrewery.com/default.html).

Send me a message if you have any questions, i spent 25 years living there before I moved to this winter wonderland :)

Thanks. Got back Sunday. I did try some local stuff. El Presidente, Manga were the two that I remember. Of what I tried, I liked the Magna better. MUCH more flavor, even for an ice cold pilsner. The El Presidente had no flavor... much like BMC. :(

Thanks. Got back Sunday. I did try some local stuff. El Presidente, Manga were the two that I remember. Of what I tried, I liked the Magna better. MUCH more flavor, even for an ice cold pilsner. The El Presidente had no flavor... much like BMC. :(

El presidente is actually from the Dominican republic, I havent had Manga yet, but I think its by the Medalla brewery (our local BMC...think 50 cents a can when i was growing up there). I think they came out with manga to position themselves a bit better with the craft industry.

Medalla Light is all you should be drinking while in PR.

Yeah, it was Medalla Light that had no flavor. :(

Narragansett Lager stinks. Unless you're drinking it on the beach in Narragansett. It suddenly transforms itself into a 5-star beer. The same goes for Medalla Light!

dscn4513.jpg

I am not sure if it is available but my favorite beer that is available in the (Caribbean) area is Carib. Out of a bottle only, tastes not near as good out of a can.

I was talking to a friend last night about beverages in Puerto Rico (she lives there.) She said she prefers Budweiser. I gave her a hard time about it, of course, but she pointed out that it's hard to come by Bud down there. I guess if Medalla Light were at all available up here in the States, I might like to drink that, but I still think, with all the good beer available in PR, she should be drinking something else. :)

I was talking to a friend last night about beverages in Puerto Rico (she lives there.) She said she prefers Budweiser. I gave her a hard time about it, of course, but she pointed out that it's hard to come by Bud down there. I guess if Medalla Light were at all available up here in the States, I might like to drink that, but I still think, with all the good beer available in PR, she should be drinking something else. :)

I can tell you that Coors Light, Heineken and Medalla Light are the top-three beers consumed in PR.

Not hard at all to find bmc in PR. It's all over. But the craft beer/homebrew movement is growing very fast. There's a lot of places wher you can find craft beer, tho prices are high.

Not hard at all to find bmc in PR. It's all over. But the craft beer/homebrew movement is growing very fast. There's a lot of places wher you can find craft beer, tho prices are high.

Just going by what she said.. I have to admit, I don't recall seeing Budweiser the way we do here... other BMC products may be there, but I really don't recall seeing much.

I can't say for PR. or current times. But I lived in St Thomas, USVI for a while in the mid 80's. Everything is imported so Heineken was about the same price as a Bud..... Guess which I chose.

Back