Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Idea for a Beef Tenderloin

Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Alamo_Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Idea for a Beef Tenderloin

So SWMBO and I had a pork tenderloin last night and we cut it into ~1/2" medalions, breaded it in flour and egg and fryed them in a bit of olive oil. (Yeah I know, not so good for the HBT Weight Loss Thread but hey it was tasty! )

So this morning in my first class I started drifting off and thinking about dinner last night. I started thinking about making beef tenderloin medalions but maybe a bit healthier. I've got an idea but I'm no chef so I don't know if it sounds gross or not. I did a little searching on google but couldn't really find anything bc I don't know any cool cooking terms.

So here it is:

Slice Beef tenderloin into ~1/2"-3/4" medalions.
Marinate in red wine overnight
Get frying pan hot
Season only 1 side of the medalions with lots (ok not tooo much) salt and pepper (maybe kosher salt?)
Cook medalions on only 1 side, the unseasoned side.
Deglaze with red wine (maybe from the marinade?)
Reduce till it coats the back of a spoon (I've never made a wine reduction so this might be a bad idea...)
Eat...

My thinking is that I like my steaks medium-rare to rare. So, for a cool texture and presentation just cook 1 side of the meat.

Am I crazy or is it a good idea? Any suggestions?

THANKS GUYS!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer

Am I crazy or is it a good idea? Any suggestions?

THANKS GUYS!
The thinner you slice them the tougher they will be, why not slice them thicker and brown them on both sides, then they are normally finished in the oven till they are to you desired likeing/doneness.
I may be leaning to the gross side on your original plan but I like my steaks medium, just a little pink in the middle not bloody.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd say try it, if it works out great! If not, tell us before one of us makes the same mistake...

Only sugestion is once you get close to the reduction you want, turn the heat down a little and cover. This way it won't directly cook the top side of the medallion, but it will at least be heated to a high enough temperature to kill any baddies, and give it a good even browning over the top while maintaining a med-rare center

Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed
Only sugestion is once you get close to the reduction you want, turn the heat down a little and cover. This way it won't directly cook the top side of the medallion, but it will at least be heated to a high enough temperature to kill any baddies, and give it a good even browning over the top while maintaining a med-rare center
Hmm thats a good idea I'm thinking about making this tomorrow night and I might just do that.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
I don't think I'd marinate a tender meat like that overnight in something as acidic as red wine. An hour or two should be plenty I would think.
Ahh good point!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wouldn't marinate a tenderloin in anything. But do everything else. You'll want some aromatics (shallots, garlic, some beef stock) in that reduction as well. If you just straight up reduce red wine it'll be sickly sweet and strong, covering up any taste of the beef.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I wouldn't marinate a tenderloin in anything. But do everything else. You'll want some aromatics (shallots, garlic, some beef stock) in that reduction as well. If you just straight up reduce red wine it'll be sickly sweet and strong, covering up any taste of the beef.
Ok cool, that makes since. But the cooking only 1 side part sounds ok?

Maybe I will scratch the marinade...

Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Brentk14
Recipes 

Dont marinate them, dont ever marinate tenderloin. Have them cut 1 1/2 in thick. Rub some extra virgin olive oil on the bottom of pan (preferrably cast iron skillet) so the steaks wont stick or burn. Brown on each side for 2 minutes. Then season top side with some kosher salt, Ground pepper, and some chopped rosemary (optional but adds great flavor) have oven heated to around 400 degrees and place in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from pan and let rest for 5 min to redistribute juices. At this point, if you really want to, use 1 cup of good red wine and deglaze the pan with it. Let the wine simmer until it is reduced by almost half. Pour over the top of steaks at serving and you got yourself a great dish.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Last time I "pan fried" a steak I did it in applewine, only had to do one side but I had it covered the whole time, came out about a medium once I stoped smelling the alcohol boiling off