DC Area Group Grain Buy #12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every 6-7 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...otherwise you don't get it!
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay two weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain!
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (no base malts please!) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? Full sack payments go to stonebrewer; split sack payments go to IslandLizard, who keeps track of all split information and then pays me at the end of the buy.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC
* TBD but we are doing this either every month or every other month (based on demand) and based on the weekends that Mike works...
* NOTE Recent Change:The pickup will occur the Sat. two weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let either IslandLizard or I know who is picking up your grain
* If you suggest a split, you must pay IslandLizard, like everyone else who wants a share of your sack. IslandLizard controls all payments and keep track of all splits on the same set of sheets we send you a link to; check status there before asking in the forum.
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though this is a new supplier so hopefully it won't
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

So thinking more on the recent 12 bag shortage...I may talk to 3 Stars about ordering 3 weeks, 2 weeks, and 1 week out to reduce the chances of shortages. Frits seems to think it is a good idea as well. This means the buy will not close completely, but you are at higher risk of knowing if/when you might get shorted if you order outside of the "normal" window, be that 2 or 3 weeks (TBD). When Vienna and Munich get shorted, I gotta scratch my head! I understand Patagonia or Carabelge or Cologne, as they are malts I don't see a lot of people buying, but standards like MO or random Pils? Anyhow, we will try to find a way to improve reliability...as much as we can because most of it is out of our hands (and 3 Stars!).

+1 ^

I also like to address the dates for payments due, particularly on splits. A buyer in limbo causes havoc on all splits he/she is involved in.

Regardless whether we're putting in our main order 2 or 3 weeks before pick-up date, I like to collect all splits moneys due the week before that. Any split amounts added later need to be either pre-paid or paid by the end of each week. There can be some leeway for regulars, etc.

I don't want to make it more complex, but we've experienced some last minute splits issues in the past, I'd like to avoid.

+1 ^

I also like to address the dates for payments due, particularly on splits. A buyer in limbo causes havoc on all splits he/she is involved in.

Regardless whether we're putting in our main order 2 or 3 weeks before pick-up date, I like to collect all splits moneys due the week before that. Any split amounts added later need to be either pre-paid or paid by the end of each week. There can be some leeway for regulars, etc.

I don't want to make it more complex, but we've experienced some last minute splits issues in the past, I'd like to avoid.

I say we just cut it a 3 weeks and put in the order. Anything that doesn't show we reorder. That way we have a chance for the second order to cover any shortages.

Just my opinion, as I don't deal with the money/sheets, but feel like most would feel the same.

-Mike

I just missed out on the last one and am looking forward to this.

1 x RAH1002Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

1 x RAH1005Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb

Thanks to the organizers!

So, I am just getting into all grain. I want to buy a few bags before my next overseas assignment to bring with me. I have limited the order down to the below types of grain and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction between the brands Breiss, Weyerman, and Rahr. Also what is the difference between Weyerman's Pilsner and wheat vs the floor malted versions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2-row
pilsen
wheat
pale

So, I am just getting into all grain. I want to buy a few bags before my next overseas assignment to bring with me. I have limited the order down to the below types of grain and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction between the brands Breiss, Weyerman, and Rahr. Also what is the difference between Weyerman's Pilsner and wheat vs the floor malted versions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2-row
pilsen
wheat
pale

Rahr and Breiss are North American, Weyerman is German (I think). Weyerman is in a 55 pound sack, the others are 50. Floor malted is the traditional way of malting. I am not sure the average person could tell the difference between the malts, however you may be able to. In general Rahr is going to be cheapest, Weyerman is probably more expensive since it is shipped from Europe. I think Weyerman is very high quality, but the other two are acceptable or better. Briess may be the largest NA maltster. Really cannot go wrong with any of them as they all make great beer!

Oh, one thing I will say is I hate Briess' packaging as it is in paper sacks. Weyerman's packaging is the best of the three, which might be a consideration for you...

2-row
pilsen
wheat
pale

Welcome to all grain, it really is not that difficult! Now you can brew any beer.

Differences between the various maltsters' base malts of the same type are generally subtle. You can brew a great "German" Pilsner from Briess or Rahr Pilsner malt, but if you want to be authentic and at the same time get that little bit of extra German malt character Weyermann's gives you, then go for it.

Floor malted grains have been germinated the old fashioned way, on the warm malt house's floor, creating a less modified malt. Again, a subtle but detectable flavor improvement over the more common drum malts, IF you get everything else in the brewing process right, such as your water, yeast, fermentation temps and control, etc. Read up on malts, types, modification levels and special mashing steps desired when using undermodified malts. Weyermann, Briess, and most other maltsters' websites have lots of information. Google is your friend.

Maris Otter and Golden Promise (both from the UK) are barley varieties with a rich, biscuity aroma and flavor, great when brewing English beers, such as Milds and Bitters, even Porters. If you don't have Maris Otter, adding a little Biscuit Malt to a regular Pale Malt gets you close, but it's not exactly the same.

Wheat can be malted or unmalted. For Wheat beers you need malted wheat, around 30-50% of the grist. For Belgian Wits including some unmalted wheat (flakes) as well is tradition. Red wheat (winter wheat) is a little bit stronger in flavor than White Wheat (summer harvest). I like that little extra bite, so I mostly use Red Wheat. European wheats are different varieties from those in the US.

1 x BRI1003 Briess Pale Ale 50 lb

25# BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
10# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb

I'm not sure we want to split generic base malts, such as the Briess Pilsen. We've been making exceptions for the more exclusive ones like Golden Promise and GlenEagles MO. Can't you take the whole sack?

Are you suggesting to start a new split for C40 and you'll take 10# of it?

To all:
I'll comb the messages and update the spreadsheet soon for all orders placed and splits offerings so far. We're still transitioning from #11 which grew a long tail.

Thanks for the clarification. I will post my order up soon. Is anyone looking to do a split on rice hulls

I actually prefer the paper bags, much easier to carry (although I don't move bags around much once they're home), and you don't have to pick plastic ribbons out of the grain. I will say that I've found a good bit of chaff in the Briess bags in recent years. I don't notice much flavor difference between brands for most base malts.

Subbed (because I'm too lame to find the 'sub' button)

Because I am a smartass.

Untitled.png

I actually prefer the paper bags, much easier to carry (although I don't move bags around much once they're home), and you don't have to pick plastic ribbons out of the grain. I will say that I've found a good bit of chaff in the Briess bags in recent years. I don't notice much flavor difference between brands for most base malts.

Weyerman has that nice inner liner that I really like and is the easiest opening bag of them all as their strings are always oriented towards the left rear...I have busted far too many Briess bags or poked holes in them, leaking pressure beer fuel! But, I hear ya...to each his own, eh!

since we are on the topic of malt packaging. Is it generally advisable to immediately transfer malt to buckets or other airtight storage vesicles? Or does the malt keep fresh in the bags when unopened?

since we are on the topic of malt packaging. Is it generally advisable to immediately transfer malt to buckets or other airtight storage vesicles? Or does the malt keep fresh in the bags when unopened?

Either is fine. I leave base malts in the original sacks. They are stored cool and dry, which is important. Make sure rodents can't get to them.

The Weyermann sacks are the best. They have a plastic inner sack.

I don't care for the paper sacks (Briess, Grain Miller). I tore one getting it out of the car. Caught it just in time before slinging it over the shoulder...

I'm not sure we want to split generic base malts, such as the Briess Pilsen. We've been making exceptions for the more exclusive ones like Golden Promise and GlenEagles MO. Can't you take the whole sack?

Are you suggesting to start a new split for C40 and you'll take 10# of it?

To all:
I'll comb the messages and update the spreadsheet soon for all orders placed and splits offerings so far. We're still transitioning from #11 which grew a long tail.

Let's go ahead and leave out the Pilsen for now then - wasn't sure what the deal was with splitting base malts. Yes, I'm looking for 10# of C40. I could go higher on that one if necessary, up to 25#. Here's the revised order:

Sup guys. Looks like ima need some more grains.

Please put me down for:

1x BRI1002 Briess 2-Row Brewers 50 lb
1x WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Hello all,

I would like to start a split, please.

10# of BRI1022 Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb

and could take some of earlier split:

10# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L

I'd like to start a split on PBW if anyone else is interested.

10lb PBW50 PBW 50 lb

I'm assuming this is an item we should be bringing our own container for when we pick it up.

I missed out on the last buy, but had enough stock... however, I will now need:

1 bag Rahr White Wheat 50 lb

Just ran out!!

1 x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row (50 lb)

I just missed out on the last one and am looking forward to this.

1 x RAH1002Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

1 x RAH1005Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb

Thanks to the organizers!

Let's go ahead and leave out the Pilsen for now then - wasn't sure what the deal was with splitting base malts. Yes, I'm looking for 10# of C40. I could go higher on that one if necessary, up to 25#. Here's the revised order:

Sup guys. Looks like ima need some more grains.

Please put me down for:

1x BRI1002 Briess 2-Row Brewers 50 lb
1x WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Hello all,

and could take some of earlier split:

10# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L

I'd like to start a split on PBW if anyone else is interested.

10lb PBW50 PBW 50 lb

I'm assuming this is an item we should be bringing our own container for when we pick it up.

Thank you for your orders, we're rolling again.
All added to sheet #12. Please double check, making sure I didn't forget anyone or anything.

@jamisonia: We put the PBW splits into plastic bags, just like the grain.

Hello all,

I'd take 10# of that Carapils in addition to what I've already posted:

The posted sheet as of right now looks correct - thanks!

Damn i just bought some more PBW, didnt see the split in here.

Also that is a lot of acid malt....

Back