Difficulty making 1.5" hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSipper

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a way to make a ~1.5" hole. The step bits only go up to 1-3/8 which is just a hair too small. and the punches don't really work.

Last time I cut the 1-3/8th then used a conical piece of metal to enlarge the whole with a press, but it didn't turn out great and this time I just want a nice clean 1.5" hole.

Anyone have a good method/tool?

Two options.

a) take it to a welding shop. They'll get a hole in there, sometimes for free.

b) rent one of these.

RB45-lg.jpg

Like buttah.

I can't seem to find a way to make a ~1.5" hole. The step bits only go up to 1-3/8 which is just a hair too small. and the punches don't really work.

Last time I cut the 1-3/8th then used a conical piece of metal to enlarge the whole with a press, but it didn't turn out great and this time I just want a nice clean 1.5" hole.

Anyone have a good method/tool?

Do you want to use a weldless fitting in that hole, or are you going to weld/solder a fitting in it?

Have you actually tried that on a pot? Because last time I did it did not work well at all.

Yea I thought about enlarging the hole something like that, but it's hard to keep it perfectly round.

I can understand the hole bit not working well, as they are designed for wood and composites. Certainly not thin metal, what with those huge teeth.

You need to go from 1-3/8" to 1-1/2", which means grinding 1/16" all around the circumference of the hole. It's not as hard as you'd think, but you need a steady hand.

I did it on a keggle, when all I had was a step bit with a max. 3/4" diameter. I wanted to enlarge the hole to 7/8" to accept a weldless valve. Using a drafter's circle template and scratch awl, I marked a circle of the final diameter, then drilled with the step bit. Next, I carefully used the Dremel until I reached the circle. It took some time, and it's LOUD (wear ear plugs). The key is to be very patient and not grind too aggressively. But I was able to make it very close to perfectly round. I then used the same Dremel bit to remove the burrs and I was in business.

I missed what you were drilling in your first post. A 38mm step bit does exist but it looks like it won't be cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400759563758?lpid=82&chn=ps

A thicker than normal SS pot, thicker than the concord or bayou pots.

Flaring the hole would be the easiest.
However..
Here is a 1-1/2" radio punch.. it is tougher to use, since you already have a hole close in diameter..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenlee-1-...292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f5ca396c

(Ebay search: greenlee radio punch 1-1/2)

I didn't make the hole yet, I was hoping to find a better way first. I don't remember why I didn't like the punches last time, It was either they weren't strong enough, or I didn't have the right size. They typically are not rated for this thick of metal though. Have you had good luck with them in SS?

I find the opposite is true. Punches don't work very well on thinner pots because there's a thin gap between the punch and die that can pull the metal in and get all jammed up. You can get a 1.5" punch, but the one holesaw that eats stainless for lunch is the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00125F8YU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but you also need the arbor and it's not cheap.

If you're having a 1.5" TC flange welded in, you may also try drilling a 1-3/8" and pulling the 1.5 into the hole. The hardest part is finding an appropriate sized backing die, which is typically 1/8" larger ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
A thicker than normal SS pot, thicker than the concord or bayou pots.

I didn't make the hole yet, I was hoping to find a better way first. I don't remember why I didn't like the punches last time, It was either they weren't strong enough, or I didn't have the right size. They typically are not rated for this thick of metal though. Have you had good luck with them in SS?

What type of Pot?

We punched Blichmann(approx. 1.2mm) andMegaPot 1.2 (1mm), like cutting butter with a hot knife. Keep the cutter lubricated.
These dies should be good for 14 guage or approx 2mm

Last edited:
EZCyclone,
Max size is 1-3/8.
BitterSipper is looking for 1-1/2

Interesting, the image I have in the email, shows it goes to 1 1/2", but when you go to the page and look at the image there, it shows 1 3/8". Fair enough, my bad.

I have an Irwin that goes to 1 5/8", got it at Ace Hardware, even though I hate that place.

What type of Pot?

We punched Blichmann(approx. 1.2mm) andMegaPot 1.2 (1mm), like cutting butter with a hot knife. Keep the cutter lubricated.
These dies should be good for 14 guage or approx 2mm

Doesn't have a brand really, it's closer to 2mm.

I might give a punch a try then. Does it typically punch a hole the same size as the die, or does it over/under size? Also, does it distort the shape of the pot around the hole or punch clean?

Doesn't have a brand really, it's closer to 2mm.

I might give a punch a try then. Does it typically punch a hole the same size as the die, or does it over/under size? Also, does it distort the shape of the pot around the hole or punch clean?

Radio Punch dies are the same size as stamped. Conduit dies are the size of the pipe. Use the radio punches.

Clean hole..
I have been using Greenlee punches for over 35 years, they work wonderfully.
I have cut 12 Guage steel (mild steel), and 14 guage Stainless.. Key is to keep the die lubricated. WD40 will work, if you have cutting oil available, use it.

Also..
Bobby has a cool video, actually using one, starting around 8 minutes in..
(Nice Job Bobby!!)

Radio Punch dies are the same size as stamped. Conduit dies are the size of the pipe. Use the radio punches.

I meant more, when it says 1.5 does it make a 1.5" hole or more like a 1 3/8 or 1 5/8. Welders always want a snug fit.

A 1.5" radio punch will punch a 1.5" hole.
a 1.5" conduit punch will punch a 1.95" hole

Check with your welder, in most cases they also have the tools to fabricate the hole.

I'd take it to someone to cut the hole with a plasma torch and have them weld the fitting at the same time. Done.

A 1.5" radio punch will punch a 1.5" hole.
a 1.5" conduit punch will punch a 1.95" hole

Yes but I'm asking does a punch that is supposed to punch a 1.5" hole, punch a hole that's very close or does it end up over or under sized. For instance hole saws always seem to end up over-sized.

Again --- unless you're planning to do your own welding, wouldn't it make sense to take it to someone who can cut the hole AND weld it? Just sayin'.

Again --- unless you're planning to do your own welding, wouldn't it make sense to take it to someone who can cut the hole AND weld it? Just sayin'.

I'm sure they can, I just prefer to do as much as I can myself. Less chance of miscommunication, and I would rather have to hold myself accountable for a mistake than someone else.

I find the opposite is true. Punches don't work very well on thinner pots because there's a thin gap between the punch and die that can pull the metal in and get all jammed up. You can get a 1.5" punch, but the one holesaw that eats stainless for lunch is the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00125F8YU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but you also need the arbor and it's not cheap.

If you're having a 1.5" TC flange welded in, you may also try drilling a 1-3/8" and pulling the 1.5 into the hole. The hardest part is finding an appropriate sized backing die, which is typically 1/8" larger ID.

Concord was selling the carbide tipped hole saws ans I wondered how they were working and then I started looking at similar ones available on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carbide...210?pt=US_Hand_Tools&var=&hash=item2ec8fa9212

When are you going to have something similar up on BrewHardware?:rockin:

Back