Secondary/dry hopping/aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldwaterbrew

Reaction score
I am making an IPA I will be dry hopping it and would like to age it with oak whiskey chips. I don't know If I want to do all this in the primary or transfer to a secondary.

Transfer it, imo. I've heard that the wood chips can get buried in the trub, thus negating their affect.

I'm one that usually recommends not using a secondary, but in this case with the oak chips, I would use a secondary as well.

I'll go the opposite and say I've never used a secondary and I've oaked many beers. I just put the chips in a muslin bag and soak the whole thing in bourbon for a week. Then dump the whole thing in the primary. I've never had any issues and I've oaked for 7 days to 6 weeks. Putting them in the bag will help when you're racking the beer to package it too. IMO it's easier to avoid a big bag rather than tons of little chips.

Look into oak spirals. It's just one big log you put in there. It has more surface area, it floats, and it has great oak flavor. I've done white oak with an IPA one time and it was awesome.

Back