Dried fruit had oil - anything to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downinit25i

Reaction score
I am making a sour kriek. I used a sour mash to make a dark beer base and planned to use dried cherries I brought over from my last trip to Michigan, since tart cherries are impossible to find and cost-prohibitive to order for me.

Before I added the dried cherries to the secondary I noticed on the label where it said that sunflower oil was an ingredient! I figured I didn't have much choice at this point so I gave the fruit a starsan rinse and then two rinses under water before adding to secondary and racking the beer over them, thinking maybe that would take care of the oil.

Didn't work. I immediately saw an oil slick forming over the surface and so far (two days later) I can see the airlock bubbling but no krausen whatsoever, even when swirling to kick up some CO2. The beer had a great krausen while in the primary and nearly needed a blowoff. I'm really disappointed at this.

Of course I plan to bottle as normal, trying to rack form under the oil slick, but at this point is there anything I can due to rescue the head on this batch or is it pretty much hopeless?

So how did your beer turn out? I made the same mistake by putting dried cherries in my beer. Mine also contained sunflower oil. It's still fermenting. Hopefully I can transfer off the oil.

Latest posts

Back