Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Gravity reading not what I expected

Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gravity reading not what I expected

Brewed my Peanut Butter Stout on 1/3, SG was 1.072, I was hoping to get 6.5% or higher on this so FG of about 1.020 or lower. I took my reading today and was sitting at 1.032. I have had no activity in the air lock for a few days. I used the Muntons 6gm dry yeast that comes with the kit I got, rather than get some different yeast. So my question is can I spark up some activity again with what is in there or do I need to pitch more yeast, what are my options? Thanks

Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Give your primary fermenter a nice swirl and try to shake some of your yeast up. Then take the gravity sample a few more times over the next few days. If it stays at the same level 3 days in a row, it is as fermented as your yeast will get it. If at that point you want, you can try and repitch some yeast like nottingham which seems to ferment dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep give it a swirl. I made a couple 1.070's recently and had to rouse them a couple times each to get them to finish at 1.020.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Swirled it last night, hope I wasnt to aggressive b/c you dont want to oxygenate the beer by this point right?
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead

Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You won't oxygenate your wort at this point as there shouldn't be any oxygen left in your fermenter (all that CO2 produced during fermentation has displaced it).

I'd bet your problem is the Muntons yeast. From everything I have heard it tends to be highly flocculent so it doesn't always ferment all the way out. Next time I'd recommend Nottingham or Safale.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is just my second batch so I havent gotten into to much yeast experimentation, I ordered a few packs of Nottingham today with some other stuff just in case I needed to repitch or to use for next time.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, I think Muntons is only good for beers that are about 5% maybe 6 at most. The problem I had with it twice is that it ferments real close to the FG you expect or even want, but it continues very slowly. If you bottle this is a problem b/c you could create bottle bombs if there is active fermentation going on. The first time I just let it sit in a carboy a couple months and the beer was actually really good when it finally stopped, but I kegged b/c I was afraid there wouldn't be any yeast left to naturally carbonate. The other time I just crash cooled it to stop fermentation and then kegged. There won't be a next time, I won't be using Muntons yeast again.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The swirling produced nothing so I repitched with Nottingham which after 3 days has also produced nothing. I guess now all I can do is transfer to secondary. The thing I am worried about is that once I transfer it kicks up then I end up having to transfer again after that or that I end up with bottle bombs at the end. There are still plenty of sugars 1.032 isnt much lower than my first beer started at. Any thoughts?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

When you say the swirling and repitching produced nothing, did you check that with a hydrometer or just visually? Even with repitching, I would not expect to see the spectacle of fermentation that happened before.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Checked hydro last night since I hadnt seen any visual activity and no change.