Poorly Carbonated Kegged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I have several kegs and have enjoyed fairly well carbonated beer until the past year. Don't know what has caused the change, the lines to some were changed (lengthened to appropriate length) last summer but this is affecting ALL Kegged beers.

Someone suggested that the CO2 I am getting, the provider of which HAS changed, could be the reason. That makes little sense to me. CO2 should be the same regardless. Right?

I was thinking of priming in the keg. I feel like those I know who bottle carbonate Get a finer carbonation.

Thoughts?

I'd check pressure and temperature, plus length of time you're spending getting them to carbonate. I think Mr. Malty or one of the other common sites has a calculator you can use (pressure, temp, target vols co2). I've always been able to get my kegs to carb up fine by letting them sit a week in the kegorator at the right pressure.

It could also be your CO2 gauge going bad or giving bad readings.

Re: bottle conditioning - I tend to like this better, but you shouldn't see a huge difference.

I checked, the temperature/pressure and time all check out. Have been doing this for about three years so I have some handle on the basics of what should be going on.

Bad regulator, maybe ... But I have two freezers and just got a new regulator last year for one, the other is three years old. They can't both be off ...

All good suggestions. Have you dropped priming sugar in your keg to prime before putting on gas?

Back